Tuesday 7 May 2013

Keep trying the lottery, Bob (April 24,2013)


Yet again no Senate seat or lottery win 

                                                            by Robert LaFrance
 

            It was quite a nervous time on April 13 as we all waited at the club and clutched our 6/49 lottery tickets. Something like $65 million was at stake, or, as Flug said referring to his future diet if he won: “at steak”.

            When the announcer uttered the fateful words that the fifteen winners were all from Alberta and B.C., we all deflated as if it were chili night. Then I remembered that I have a daughter, a nephew, a great-nephew, and a great-niece living in Alberta. Although it was midnight in New Brunswick, it was only 9:00 pm out there. We started calling our relatives out west to re-establish family ties, as it were, just in case one of our kin had won three and a half million or so.

            Nasty? Surly? Grumpy? Sneezy? (I guess I strayed into a kid’s story there.) Of the 79 relatives we club members called, only four (my relatives of course) were polite about the thing. Icily polite you might say. They had hoped to win just as much as we had. However, if they had won, they would have found out around midnight our time and probably wouldn’t have called us, for fear of waking us up.

            A final note on the subject: Prime Minister Harper hasn’t called to see if I’d accept a Senate seat. I would.

            This is the time of year when people are complaining about potholes. I know I always have, but I think this year I will do something different. There are no fewer potholes than other years perhaps, and the gov’mint is fixing some of them, but I’ve always found that complaining doesn’t make the fill-ins go any more quickly.

            So here’s my plan: I am going to assemble a crackerjack team of professional filmmakers and make a video for YouTube, or Steven Spielberg, whichever is closest at hand, and we are going to make a film (called ‘video’ nowadays) CELEBRATING potholes, not complaining about them. Some people might think we are being sarcastic, but we are totally, like totally serious and sincere.

            “Bob,” said Flug, after I had told him about my plan, “I would say the weakest magnet in Christendom would pick up the irony in that idea.” Remember when they said that ‘Waterworld’ wasn’t going to be a great movie? There are always sceptics.

            I’m not going to mention any names, but last week my first wife came into the kitchen when I was preparing supper and asked what I was cooking. “Coq au vin,” I told her. “It will be a taste treat, a bouquet for the taste buds.”

            “Cocoa van?” she said. “Is that when you drive the Plymouth Voyager to the takeout window and order hot chocolate? Hahahahaha!” It doesn’t take much to amuse some people. “I hope it will turn out better than the Radish Soufflé.” I assured her that it would, and it did. Barely. The less said about it the better.

            As a reporter who often covers hockey, basketball, soccer, and other games, I often get warned about using sports clichés. “He gave 110%” is a phrase that, even if it were used by a respected – indeed famous – reporter like me would result in instant execution – ‘shot at the stake’ as a former Victoria County Record employee used to say. But my least favourite cliché has nothing to do with words, but with the vision of a 270-pound professional basketball player reaching down and dunking the ball, then hanging onto and swinging from the rim. I’ve heard there’s a fine for that, but whatever it is, it’s not enough.

            Have you heard that we recently added a new member to the constabulary here? Constable Leadwell Godington is the newest officer on the Scotch Colony force, bringing the total number up to one. Our previous police force, Eggert Slumd,  transferred himself to the Cayman Islands last May, along with Rev. Sackett’s wife and all the pastor’s stocks and bonds. Eggert was kind of an odd duck right from the get-go anyway. He had previously been stationed with the local force at Beaufort Harbour, NWT where he had a wonderful team of sled dogs, Malmutes or huskies or possibly Scotch Terriers, I can’t tell the difference. When he arrived here in mid-May of 2004, the dogs were not happy. It was +26C that day and not looking to get colder right away. Eggert shipped the dogs back up north before they turned on him, which some said would have been cannibalism.

            I’m going to miss old Eggy. He had the greatest way with words. He would say: “I can’t make hide nor hair out of that” when he meant “head nor tail”. One day he was talking about something being obvious and he said: “Hey’ it’s not rocket fuel you know." Maybe next winter, when it’s about ninety below, I’ll visit him and Mrs. Sackett down south.
                                            -end-

No comments: