Wednesday 22 May 2013

I am indeed cynical - lots of practice (May 22 column)


Yeah, right. This is gonna happen! 

                                                            by Robert LaFrance 

            Yet another inventor has come up with a device that is so efficient it will reduce our home heating costs by two-thirds, so I guess we should say goodbye to that guy any day.

            A man named Ronald Ace, who lives in the state of Maryland, has invented something called a ‘solar energy trap’ that can be used to retrofit the present electrical plants including nuclear ones and will produce power that will cost two cents per kilowatt-hour. What do we pay now? I think around ten. I suggest that everyone go to Google and find out Ronnie’s home address, mail him a birthday card ASAP, and then forget about it.

            You know how these guys who invent things that allow a car to go 200 miles a gallon make a headline and are never heard from again? Within a few months Ronnie will be retired to the French Riviera with ten million dollars in the bank; the invention will disappear into the mist.

            Gee, I’m cynical, but often accurate.

                                                          *****************************

Speaking of pie in the sky, I remain on the subject of food. Last evening I was at a banquet that featured some pretty good grub, and lots of it. The hostess encouraged us to take some of the leftover food home because their poodle wasn’t up to eating such quantities without exploding.

I rejoiced at the chance of taking home some of the pumpkin pie, exotic salads, etc. until she said: “You help yourself to the remains of the food.”

As one who has enjoyed food for 65+ years, I am sorry, but I cannot partake of ‘the remains’ of anything. To me the word ‘remains’ refers to something that used to be in human form and I ain’t no cannibal. I finished filling a large plate with the ‘remains’ and brought it all home to my dog Kezman. The semantics of the situation didn’t bother him a bit. He looked at me gratefully and seemed to be saying: “Call it male cow manure if you want to; it’s top-notch grub to me.” (He’s the only dog I’ve ever seen who would use a semi-colon between his sentences.)

Speaking of male cow manure naturally brings one to the government. I heard recently that Everett Chalmers Hospital in Fredericton had also suffered some cutbacks. Somewhere between 125 and 200 workers were handed their layoff notices and I’ll bet you’ll never guess what category of workers was terminated (as they say).

Exactly. It was nurses, LPNs, and janitorial staff – the people who actually do the work. Now another guess: who DIDN`T lose their jobs? Right, administrators. After a while, hospitals will refuse to admit patients at all because only administrators will be left in the building. It all reminds one of the Canada Post executives during a 1970s postal strike. He said the organization would run much more efficiently if they didn’t have to deliver mail.

We all recall the first announcements by Vitalité and Horizon Health Network that they were laying off a bunch of administrators, do we? What if we checked now to see where these laid-off administrators are? I think I can guarantee they are all still administrators, but in different offices down the hall – and with different titles. Same (undeserved) salaries though.

“Jeez, Bob, you’re cynical,” said Flug.

                                                            **********************************

According to some companies’ reports, we New Brunswickers are poised to become wealthy because we have shale gas reserves enough to last the world until the year Alpha 2399. They can’t wait to start shoving chemicals into the ground whether it ruins our fresh water supply or not. Armies in wars call that ‘collateral damage’ and such casualties are to be expected in a time of war.

However, there are also those who think our fresh water is kind of a treasure as well, no pun intended. What brought this to mind was a CBC Radio interview I recently heard. A chap from California was saying that his state was rapidly running out of fresh water and would soon think about piping some in from Washington State. “Or maybe Canada, ” he said. “Canada is the Saudi Arabia of fresh water.”

I’m not saying that kind of talk makes me nervous, but I like it better when the Americans ignore us, something they are very good at doing. It doesn’t bother me. I think we had better make sure we don’t have any Weapons of Mass Destruction hanging around our garages or backyards. Any excuse is better than none. On the other hand, Iraq didn’t have any of those and George W. Bush sent the troops in anyway.
                                                -end-

No comments: