Tuesday 11 December 2012

Column for Nov 28/12

Working to pay Brian Mulroney’s pension   
 

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

 

            The stove wood is all piled up (or ‘stacked’ as they say on TV as if they’re talking about cases of corn flakes), the lawn is mown for the last time in 2012, the winter tires are on everybody’s vehicles, the anti-freeze is checked, the insulation in Kezman’s doghouse has been fixed into place, the basement is full of preserves (it seems), the stovepipes are cleaned, and the apples are all picked.

            It’s time to sit down in my favourite chair, put up my feet and…

            “Get your feet off that pillow! I bought that at a yard sale in Minto and it has sentimental value! And get your fat *** out of that chair and feed the dog why don’t you? And by the way, where did you hide my rolling pin? I want to make some cookies.”

            She did finally find her rolling pin, which somehow fell from a drawer in the kitchen to the branches of a Honeygold apple tree at the back of the orchard. Who knows how these things happen? Ours is not to wonder why though, as the late Miss Sara Williams, my old high school English teacher, used to say. (Unfortunately, the second part of that quotation is: “Ours is but to do and die.”)

I believe that’s paraphrased from the Tennyson poem ‘Charge of the Light Brigade’ but it could just as easily be from a Bruce Springsteen album, the way my memory works (or doesn’t) these days.

            I mentioned my feeling that my work outside is all done for the year. There is a certain time every fall which is similar in a way to Wednesdays or what we call ‘hump days’ because half the work week is done. I am referring to those 26 New Brunswickers who have jobs. There is a certain ennui that sets in.

My fall ‘hump days’ are just about now, if certain persons would quit picking on me. If you’ve ever been whacked by a hardwood rolling pin, you might understand astronomy a little better (all those stars!) but it’s definitely being picked on.

                                                                                    ********************************

            On to other subjects: Last week I was appalled to see the photo of former prime minister Brian Mulroney on the front page of the daily newspaper I receive once in a while, like three days a week.

            As I dragged the paper out of my group mail box box (as it were) I couldn’t help but wonder what that man could possibly have to say that would put him on the front page of a New Brunswick paper. It turned out that he was pandering to us New Brunswickers and saying to Ottawa’s elite: no transfer payment reduction for NB.

            I was impressed by that, because only the day before, the federal finance minister had pledged there would be no cut in the transfer payments to New Brunswick. So it seems that our former beloved prime minister can now see into the past as well as the future. Remember all the rosy predictions he made on various subjects and how they all came true?

            But I do have to admit one thing about Brian Mulroney: his Free Trade Agreement with the U.S. appears to have been a good thing. Generally speaking that is, unless you happen to own a business in Ontario or a lumber mill somewhere in Canada.

            I should quit talking about Brian M. though, because he did make an effort and he did listen. I keep getting impressions that our present prime minister doesn’t listen all that well, but then I was scared by a politician when I was a baby and they’ve scared me ever since.

            NOTE: When I said Brian Mulroney listened, I didn’t mean to imply that he ever did any more than that. He and Frank McKenna were masters of listening intently to us ‘great unwashed’ (An H. L. Mencken reference there) and then doing what they were going to do in the first place.

            Seeing that face on the front page of my daily paper did cause me a moment of consternation though, but that shouldn’t be confused with constipation. Indeed, the effect was exactly opposite. All that Meech Lake business, the rolling of the dice, the Airbus scandal involving the German alleged miscreant Karlheinz Schreiber – all that came back to me, so I put down the paper and turned on the TV. And there he was again, like a born-again Nixon rising from disgrace to ignominy.

            It hurts to think that I’m helping to pay this guy’s (Mulroney’s) pension while he gets $10,000 speaking fees.

            So I turned to another channel and there was his son Ben Mulroney on some mindless show about Hollywood celebrities where the men don’t know how to shave and the actresses are, in the words of Mort Sahl, female impersonators. We can’t win for losing, but I keep buying lottery tickets anyway.           
                                              -end-

No comments: