Wednesday 17 October 2012

It was a very good year for whining


Emerging from the whine cellar        
 

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

 

            Time to quit whining about winter coming. Let’s get on with complaining about other things!

            It was interesting to hear Environment and Local Government Minister Bruce Fitch say, after he’d made his government’s long-delayed relocation announcement, that the people of Perth-Andover are ‘partially to blame’ for the fact that only some of the flooded houses will be moved this fall. He said there should have been a lot more than twenty lots ready.

            I could be wrong (I often am) but I’m quite sure that everybody in and around the village and others who were listening to and watching the news realized that there wasn’t much point getting lots ready if the government decided to do everything BUT move houses. If I were a land developer in Perth-Andover, would I really want to spend many tens of thousands of dollars to develop lots only to find that the government had decided to put all their money on ‘mitigation’?

            It was his own government that caused the problem, but then, isn’t it always?


I found it odd that in neither government announcement was the flooding of Muniac Road mentioned. During the flood, most of those on the Perth side of the river could leave the village via Jawbone Mountain, but in order to get to Waterville hospital, they had to go up to Arthurette, over to the St. John River, cross Brooks Bridge (if possible) or go up to Grand Falls and downriver on the Trans Canada Highway. If they could have gone via Muniac it was just a matter of driving down through Bath etc. and crossing the river at Hartland. Too simple?

            Well! That was a good start on the complaining, wasn’t it?

            On to sibling matters, I see that it’s time to start hating my sister again. It won’t be long – a month or two -  before the snowy swirling winds of Kincardine are all around me and she sends an email letter from Florida: “It’s 82 degrees here today with a nice breeze. We took a walk around the lake…” You want to know the definition of hate? Call me on that day. I will not only define the word, but will add some adjectives, free of charge.

            While I’m in the whine cellar, I should mention one of the most annoying things about working with a computer. I have a feature on my computer’s operating system that tells me when I plug in earphones. This fabulously helpful sign pops up and says: “You have just plugged a device into your audio jack.”

            Really?

            It’s nice to be informed about this sort of thing. Just think, if a burglar or my Aunt Marion somehow sneaked up to my office while I was typing and they plugged in my earphones, I would know immediately and could call the police during one of their frequent patrols through the Scotch Colony. I daresay that Stephen Harper’s Omnibus Crime Bill (Safe Streets and Communities Act), passed in March, has something to say about these hoodlums plugging ‘devices’ into the audio jack of my computer.

            Those who read this column but don’t use a computer don’t have any idea what I’m talking about, but here’s a comparison: You are sitting in your living room and a dump truck backs onto the lawn just outside, then dumps a load of topsoil there. This is a load that you have ordered. The driver comes in and says: “I just dumped a load of topsoil onto your lawn.” Oh, really?

            I sure got reaction to last week’s column that listed many (about .0004%) of the things I hate. People phoned and emailed in defence of wind chimes, and even though I didn’t mention cats, they defended them too. I will not despair though; of the 261 letters I received, almost one percent agreed with me on at least one of the points. That’s progress. In 2007 I wrote an anti-cat column and received 1,432 letters, all against. It’s probably time to write a pro-cat column, and I will. As soon as I find something good to say about cats.
 
            Going back to the second paragraph of this column, I should say that the citizens of Perth-Andover, especially flood victims of course, are happy that the government has finally made the relocation announcement. It was a long time coming, as I mentioned, but the point is, the relocations can now get started. When I and a few thousand others complained that it took too long – much too long – to get the thing going, I thought about a sentence that the French writer and philosopher Voltaire attributed to King Louis XIV. Like the NB government, when he did something good he was still criticized: "Every time I fill a vacant place I make a hundred malcontents and one ingrate."
                                                -end-

No comments: