Wednesday 3 October 2012

Cutting stovewood is so much fun - not!

The hunters rend the woods asunder  

 

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

 

            And so they go into the woods – grim-faced men intent on the hunt. They return a few hours later by the same route, but this time their trailer is full of stovewood cut in 16-inch sticks. When they get home, they will rent a wood-splitter and reduce the sizes until the ‘better half’ can lift the blocks into the wood heater while the male of the species sits back, reads the paper, and sips on a lemonade.

            I mentioned that their trailers are full of stovewood, but you will note that I mentioned nothing about the box of their pickup truck. No, no, NO! The wood might scratch the paint.

            You know you’re getting absolutely ancient when you can remember the time that ‘half-tons’ or pickup trucks were actually used to carry heavy loads. My last pickup truck (unless I win a lottery) was a 1974 GMC that I bought from Jim Dixon. Although it was six years old at the time and only cost me $1500 or so, I received a good warranty: “It’s a 30-30 warranty, Bob. Thirty minutes or thirty feet.”

            In fact that truck lasted me five or six years with little trouble, except for the time it caught fire up around Two Brooks or Blue Mountain Bend and I got out, all set to let it burn and collect the insurance, but a truck driver stopped and brought out his fire extinguisher. I told him to let it burn, but he said his religious beliefs wouldn’t allow that. Instead of getting $1500+ in insurance payment (that was when insurance companies actually paid legitimate claims without argument) I ended up with a $496 bill for replacing all the wiring, plus the towing bill. I hadn’t set the fire and felt properly aggrieved, but now I would look at it differently of course.

            Back to the subject of how pickup trucks have changed over the years: I mentioned that I had bought mine for $1500, but today that MIGHT buy the ashtray in a new Dodge Ram. I say again that another big difference is that back then we actually put things on the backs of pickups. Mine would hold half a cord of stovewood. Seen any new trucks these days with stovewood on the back? If it were ever to happen, the owner of that $45,000 heavy-duty limousine would have to buy a $2000 velvet cushion to protect the paint.

            Another thing about that 1974 GMC I used to own: It was the last vehicle I ever owned that I was able to repair. The alternator ‘went’ on it, and I actually took wrenches that I kept in a container called ‘a tool box’ and took off the alternator. A friend drove me to Walter Hurley’s garage in Andover where I got new brushes and had it rewound, whatever that might mean. I took it back to Birch Ridge where I was living at the time and put it back on the truck, tightening both the belts. It started right off.

            Picture doing that today to your 2011 Altima or Toyota. You would need three electronic technicians and a canary to help you do the job, as well as ‘an automotive technician’ and seven or eight psychologists to deal with all the emotional stress involved in replacing every sensor on Plant Earth. Contrast that with the way I took off the alternator on that 1974 GMC halfton. I reached in the old toolbox, picked out a half-inch open-ended wrench, unscrewed two bolts so I could loosen the belts, then I took out the alternator. Pretty complicated.

            The worst thing – or, as they say in Germany, the wurst thing – is that, when I was halfway through this column, a  fellow from Sisson Ridge came by and he was driving a pickup truck. It wasn’t one of those $45,000 vehicles that won’t hold ten sticks of wood, but one quite similar to my old GMC. The box on the back would hold sheets of 4’x8’ plywood, or half a cord of wood. I said to myself: “There goes my credibility!” I didn’t think there were any of those left. So, pretending I was trying to get rid of an annoying squirrel, I shot the driver of the pickup and parked the truck in the woods out back of Moose Mountain. I hope no one finds out.

            I suppose my point, if I have a point, is that people are paying an awful amount of money for vehicles that are of little use other than for going from Point A to Point B. I stood along the sidewalk in Perth-Andover one day last week and talked to a chap from Plaster rock. As we talked – and it wasn’t any more than seven or eight minutes – I estimated that the purchase prices of the vehicles, not counting tractor-trailers, that passed by would have exceeded half a million dollars. Enough to move five or six Perth-Andover houses to higher ground.
                                  -end-

No comments: