Thursday 6 September 2012

Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2012

And they say you can never go back!  
 

                                                            by Robert LaFrance
 

            There’s an election going on in Quebec and after hearing some of the utterances from all sides of that little deal, I thought of the old saying: “Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.” There’s really not much more I can say on that subject. It only remains to find out if the Parti Quebecois is going to win and immediately start blackmailing the Rest of Canada (ROC) with threats of separation, or is another party going to win and actually pay attention to governing the province. Yes, I said PROVINCE. Thinking about those times a few decades ago when Quebec looked about to separate and didn’t, that also reminded me of an old saying: “You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.” I think they’ve worn theirs out.

            The names of certain places give us a warm glow. Perhaps an encounter with the opposite sex in Ernfold, Saskatchwan, finding that missing Petit Point china teacup in McAdam, or hearing on a pay phone in Vancouver that you've just won the lottery - these things all lend themselves to that warm feeling when you hear the name of the place mentioned.

               I was listening to the CBC news one evening last week when the announcer referred to the Mariposa Folk Festival.  That took me back to the summer of 1967 when I was hitch-hiking though Orillia, Ontario, from North Dakota or Alberta - one of those places; I'm a little vague on details. I stopped at a little restaurant just inside the Orillia city limits and ordered a ham

sandwich on rye bread. Notice how specific I am on that point, like a golfer recalling every putt ten years later. Mustard on the ham, a glass of the coldest milk in northern Ontario...then I saw her.

            I always think of her as a vision, for nothing so beautiful could have been real. She had had a facelift, yes, perhaps two, but that didn't matter. I was in love. (My face could stand a little hydraulic work too.) Her skirts were spotless, as if their owner had taken a lot of pride in a job done well. That 1927 Ford Model T was a sight to behold. Her owner, who said she was the last Model T ever made, and I got to talking and he mentioned he was heading for Toronto very early next morning. Driving HER.

            He said he wouldn't mind someone to talk to on the trip. I took my sleeping bag and bunked down just about in the shadow of the Model T. It was a great trip. Hank Greenberg - not to be confused with the old Detroit Tigers ballplayer - knew everything and didn't mind sharing it. I just listened and drank in the flavour of the old car...and a six-pack of Labatt's 50. When we got to Hogtown, Hank found me a job washing dishes in his uncle-in-law’s restaurant just off Jarvis Street, an area patrolled by females who apparently did a lot of fishing, according to what Gang Fong, the restaurant owner, told me. "They all hookahs, Bob," he would say over and over whenever he saw me looking at one.

            I washed dishes long enough to buy a bus ticket back to Orillia. It was a great summer. And they say you can never go back.

                                                                        ******************************

            There must be many oxymorons in the English language – perhaps thousands if we look hard enough. On the other hand, anyone who spends a lot of time searching for oxymorons, a word whose definition is ‘a phrase contradicting itself’, doesn’t have enough to do. Dare I give one example as ‘happily married’? PUT DOWN THAT ROLLING PIN!

Another one might be ‘boxing gloves’. They look like mitts to me. And then of course there is the hospital phrase ‘semi-private’. Maybe ‘jumbo shrimp’ is another, but my favourite is ‘oxymoron’ itself. You’ll have to think about that one for a while; I know I had to.

            One of these days I’m going to write an entire column called ‘Ideas or actions that should never have seen the light of day’. We’re not very far away from April 12, so I am thinking that a really REALLY bad idea back in 1912 was the Titanic captain stepping on the accelerator when he meant to put on the brakes. Those icebergs don’t give worth a damn, something like my Aunt Bella. Come to think of it, if she had been on the bridge of the Titanic she would have kicked the captain right out of there and got safely to New York and maybe went on to Orillia.
                                                                -end- 

No comments: