Tuesday 28 August 2012

Wednesday, August 28, 2012

Martha and Elvis had a great summer  

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

 
            I am not sure why this summer has spawned so many wonderful observations and comments; it must be the warm and dry weather that leads to warm and especially dry humour.

            A couple was standing beside a store in Grand Falls mall and gazing at a 24-hour clock within the store. The clock read 14:23. It was twenty-three minutes past two o’clock. The man scratched his head and said: “I don’t know, Martha. It must be one of them new metric clocks.”

            Among the gems in my notebook was this: at exactly 1:07 pm on Friday, March 23, when the Perth-Andover flood was just getting to a vigorous stage, I was sitting on the hill and about to go home and hope that our mountain wasn’t flooded. As soon as I got in the car and turned on the radio, I heard the 1960s song ‘Downtown’ by Petula Clark. Part of the lyrics was: “Downtown, everything will be fine…” Not in the least funny. The irony could have been picked up by a magnet.

            After a bean and salad supper in June, a country music group was playing the theme from the TV show ‘Red Green’. Getting up from the table, one former musician asked another: “What key is that in? “ There was an extra noise and the other chap answered: “I think it was the key of B Flatulence, Clyde.” (Those with perfect pitch like my son and brother will know it is in the key of ‘C’.)

            Lo and behold – and I mean both – one day after I saw Martha and her husband looking at the new metric clock, I saw them in a grocery store. I swear upon every bible in Christendon, she was saying to the store worker: “Hello dear, I’m about to start canning. Do you have any of them Perry Mason Jars?”

            Several people have remarked this summer on the decreasing sizes of electronic devices. In its day, the Sony Walkman was a wonderful invention, but in 2012, it seems to be something out of the Dark Ages. Remember the original computers that took up whole rooms? One evening at the club I was saying that the iPod Touch I held in my hand contained thousands of times  as much information as that roomful of computer. “For every million brain cells we lose in our old age,” mused Flug, “music players get ten percent smaller.” Then he collapsed onto and into a bag of Doritos he had placed strategically under his chin.

            Remember Martha and her husband (whose name turned out to be Elvis) from earlier in this column? They were at Squeaky’s and buying some Doritos (speaking of Doritos) when he turned to her and said they had to go home and turn on the computer so they could ‘surf the innertube’.

            Thinking about so many millionaires in the world who shouldn’t have their money because they had gained it under false pretences, and thinking that I should have it just for being a nice guy, I picked up my guitar and attempted to sing “Roy Rogers” which is an old Elton John song. I recorded it too, which marks the first time I have ever heard a digital voice recorder cry out loud. So now I know I can’t sing, but can Bob Dylan? Neil Young? I enjoy listening to them both, but can they sing? Then I remembered growing up and listening to country music heroes like Ernest Tubb who couldn’t carry a tune with a crane. However, don’t ever say a word about Hank Williams (the real one) around me or it’s Boot Hill for you.
 
            About a month ago – I think it was late July – my wife was driving our Toyota BMR Off-Road AWD Sport (Corolla) downriver when all of a sudden it looked as if a piece of the windshield rubber was coming off. Then she realized it wasn’t part of a windshield wiper, but a snake. A small garden snake, a Maritime garter snake as they’re called, had somehow crawled out there, probably up from the engine area. She almost (1) hit a motorcycle head-on, and (2) went in the ditch, but she hung on. She was still shaky when she was telling me about it hours later, but, sensitivity not being my strong suit, I asked her if it could be called a windshield viper. When I regained consciousness, I could hear the words ‘horse’s asp’ ringing in my battered ears. When I could focus, I made a note: “We’re getting aluminum frying pans. Cast iron doesn’t give worth a damn.”
                                                          -end-

No comments: