Wednesday 19 September 2012

Wednesday, Sept. 19, 2012

We’re all philosophers, aren’t we? 
 

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

 

            My wife and I observe our 30th wedding anniversary this month.
 
           You will notice I didn’t say ‘celebrate’. How I have suffered! From the day back in 1981 when she begged and pleaded with me to marry her and I remembered I had promised to work in Inuvik for the next five years and she called the company and said I had water on the brain (not far off there) and finally dragged me to the front of the church on September 25 the next year, it has not been wedded bliss.

            I have been picked on and victimized. For 23.5 hours a day I have suffered. And now I…

            PUT DOWN THAT ROLLING PIN!

                                                                        ********************************

            This is Bob’s friend Flug finishing up his column. He, er, had to go away for a few days. I have wanted to write one of his columns for years but for some reason he insists on writing them himself. He says: “If my name is on the column and I get big money for writing it; I have to write it.”

            Too bad this time, Bob. I’ll visit you in the horse-stable though, LOL, as they say on Facebook.

            Unlike Bob’s rather boring columns, I want to talk about something interesting. Just down the road from my house is a chap we call The Perfessor. I stopped by yesterday to say hello and, as usual, he was in the midst of reading philosophy, of which he had been a professor at UNB-Tilley for many decades until they finally dragged him out with a team of horses. Percherons I believe they were, unless a percheron is a fish. I can’t remember, especially since it’s Sunday morning and I have had a late night at the club.

            “You know,” he began, “our prime ministers were great philosophers. Now you take Pierre Trudeau; he was called a philosopher-king. And what about Jean Chretien? He had the cops deposit pepper spray in the faces of demonstrators in Vancouver and then, when they objected, he said he didn’t know a thing about it. The only pepper he used was on salads.”

            “I read all kinds of philosophy,” he  continued. “We’re all philosophers you know…”

            And so it went, with him expounding on the thoughts of Plato, Aristotle, Descartes, Spinoza, and Hiram Kinney, the Seer of Tilley. After about an hour of this interesting talk – he kept my glass full of lemonade – I had to bid adieu and go about my business. “That’s a closet door,” he said as I started out. “The door to outside is over there…no, that way to the road, turn left for your house. It’s red brick.”

            So after I got home and had a slight nap until the next morning, I myself started reading philosophy. He had awakened an interest I hadn’t indulged since high school. Actually, it was after high school. In grade ten, my doctor found that I was allergic to books and studying, but then that cleared up.

            My favourite philosopher these days is Hobbes. Not Thomas Hobbes, the 17th century English philosopher, but Hobbes the so-called stuffed tiger of the cartoon strip Calvin and Hobbes. Calvin is a rather annoying 6-year-old. The cartoons were written and drawn by Bill Watterson, who has a lot to answer for. Of course he doesn't draw them any more, because I like them.

            So Calvin is in the living room. He is holding a hammer and has already pounded a dozen nails into the coffee table and is about to pound another. He mother comes roaring into the room. “Calvin what are you doing to the coffee table?” she says. He looks at her, then at the hammer and nails and says: “Is that some kind of a trick question or what?” Now THAT’S philosophy. He is comparing the existential to the practical, the arcane to the obvious. What a guy. Hobbes is watching and doesn’t say a word. That’s his comment.

            Calvin asks Hobbes what he thinks happens to us when we die. Hobbes replies that guys play saxophone in an all-girl band in New Orleans. Calvin then implies that the answer shows that Hobbes believes in heaven. “Call it what you like,” answered Hobbes. In all my years (64.33) of reading and studying I have never heard the afterlife broken down like that into an uncomplicated model.

            Calvin asks Hobbes where babies come from. Hobbes takes a look at the back of Calvin’s shirt collar. “You come from Taiwan,” he answered. Anybody who has to perform a father-son or mother-daughter talk with a teenager would do well to remember this. It will save a lot of stress.

            Asked what a pronoun is, Hobbes answered that a pronoun is a noun that has lost its amateur status. I always wondered about that. My high school English teacher, the late Miss Sara Williams, would have appreciated that knowledge. She told us some silly stuff about a pronoun replacing a noun.     
                                                  -end-

No comments: