Saturday 2 June 2012

NB fiddlehead season is over now (May 30/12)

NB Fiddlehead season is over      


                                                            by Robert LaFrance


            Be warned: I’ve been thinking again.

Why is it that when I was growing up, the ‘old fellers’ knew everything about everything, and now here I am, an old feller, and I don’t know nothin’ about nothin’?

Grampy even had his own way of defining specific words. The word ‘foresight’ meant: “When you go to the outhouse and check before you sit down whether there’s an Eaton’s catalogue there.” He was the foreman of forensic definitions.

            I did warn you.

            As I write these immortal lines, it is one of those wonderful late spring days that defy description by either poetry or prose and I should be out in the garden planting carrots. I’ve had peas, lettuce, radish, potatoes and tomatoes planted in my garden for weeks now, but I always dread planting carrots because I have to actually work and make raised beds, and later on I have to thin them. I looked all over for those seed tapes everybody else seems to be able to find, but no furniture store had them.

            Fiddlehead season – at least down along Bubie Brook near here – is over for 2012, as is maple syrup season of course, but the rhubarb (spring tonic) is ‘just a-jumpin’ outta the ground’ as Uncle Harry says. My wife made a rhubarb crisp the first thing and I ate all of it in the first sitting. They say rhubarb is good for the joints and if so, I should be ready to play soccer at a high level, like on Real Madrid.

            Apparently this is also a good time of year for shingling roofs. Last week a crew descended on our house and shingled everything in sight – the porch, the shed, the back side of the kitchen part of the house. I had to tie the dog Kezman out in the orchard so they wouldn’t start on him. They were a fast bunch; the area they shingled was about 10,000 square metres and I think they were finished in 26 minutes. Back in the 1970s I and a bunch of other Tilley gangsters helped the late Byron Paris shingle his garage roof and it took us just a bit less than two weeks. Our wages were nil, but our beer bill was…large. As they say on the Red Green Show: “In the long run, volunteers can be the most expensive construction workers you can hire”. I believe Red was referring to the ones who helped him shingle HIS garage.

            Still on the subject of volunteers – good ones this time – I can’t help but be amazed at the thousands of hours people have donated their time to helping get the village of Perth-Andover back to rights. And it WILL be back. Meanwhile, I have information that al-Qaeda (of 9-11 fame) has been hired to do something useful for a change – blow Beechwood Dam into the middle of next century. No, that’s not far enough; how about into the year 2039?

            Just kidding of course, but Beechwood Dam is indeed the baby that needs to be thrown out with the bathwater, or in this case floodwater. It’s almost amusing to see and hear the reaction of NB Power and government officials when someone suggests that Beechwood Dam caused the 2012 flood, not to mention the floods of 1976, 1987, and 1993. Or should I use the word ‘event’ as the bureaucrats are so fond of saying?

            I see the point though; if I had been a Perth-Andover homeowner two months ago and saw the water reach up to the doorknobs of my living room, it would indeed be a comfort to know that I wasn’t being flooded, I was being ‘evented’. They say that water from an event is much less destructive than water from a flood.

            Back to the reactions I mentioned: NB Power and government say they are absolutely certain that Beechwood Dam didn’t have any impact on the flood. As Grampy would have said: “Yeah, but on the other hand, she wore a glove.”

            I do not have even a vague idea what that meant, but I am guessing that a healthy dose of scepticism was involved there somewhere. For a person who purports to be an intelligent human being to stand or sit in front of a microphone and say that Beechwood Dam wasn’t a factor in the floods would be the same as saying that a certain iceberg had no effect on the fate of the Titanic.   
                                                           -end-        

No comments: