Tuesday 19 June 2012

Everyone must lives on hills now

A sensible way to get rid of Beechwood Dam     

                                                            by Robert LaFrance


            I sometimes see television commercials – not that I watch TV – featuring those exercise machines called Bowflex or Elbow-Stretch, Butt-Zonker, whatever, and am always intrigued by the question of where they find the people who appear on the screen. They do NOT need exercise. In fact, in many cases I would suggest that those tightly strung exercise fanatics go have a beer and lighten up – in more ways than one.

            But then this morning, between my bowl of oatmeal and my blueberry muffin, I revised that original thought. Let those people keep walking and running on treadmills, lifting weights, and eating delicious tofu burgers in between. Just think, I thought to myself (which is my favourite way of thinking), all that energy being wasted while we whine and cry about the price of hydro. As I wrote in a previous column but didn’t pursue it very far, we could store that energy in giant batteries and supply all our houses’ electrical needs while keeping that waistline slim and trim.

            (There is a woman in one of the Bowflex commercials who could probably supply enough electrical power to light up Winnipeg.)

            I mentioned in that column that we who live on hills could also set up a windmill or two and get our power ‘FREE’ from the wind. I also mentioned that if we bought a free $30,000 windmill and it supplied all our house’s electricity, it would easily be paid off by the year 2036 and it would be the old gravy train after that. At least for a week or two, until the windmill finally wore out.

            Although NB Power says that Beechwood Dam was in no way responsible for the Perth-Andover Flood of 2012, I am thinking that they may be just a bit, a tad, disingenuous, if you are familiar with that word. I am, because it’s my job. Some people avoid using all those syllables and simply use the word ‘lying’ but let’s have a little charity in our hearts. They could have been merely drunk, or recently had heartburn for which they took a tablespoon of Milk of Amnesia.

            Back to the point, Beechwood Dam could be bulldozed if each of us Victoria County and Carleton County residents bought a Bowflex and duct-taped wires from it to the electrical grid. I would say that within six months we would make up all the power from Beechwood Dam, and then some, and we would be the fittest bi-county area in Canada. I should mention though, just in the interest of disclosure, that I just bought a block of Bowflex stock. A guy’s gotta put food on the table, even if it’s tofu.

            Back to the world of reality – we know Beechwood Dam ain’t goin’ anywhere – I guess it’s about time we all figured out that Perth-Andover and area is expendable in the eyes of those who make the decisions. NB Power let massive amounts of ice come down the river and then held it all at Beechwood so Fredericton wouldn’t get flooded. Perth-Andover is the meat in a moist sandwich and simply has to move to higher ground.

                                                            ********************************

            On to other subjects (while Perth-Andover residents struggle to get fair settlements for their homes and businesses), I continue to read the books of Henry David Thoreau, who, during the 1960s, was thought to be the wisest man ever. He lived – on a small hill I should add - at Walden Pond, Massachusetts, in the mid-nineteenth century and seemed to think a lot. I tried that in 1982 and oh how I’ve suffered since, but that’s another story.

            Back in 1845, Thoreau – poor chap – didn’t have an iPod Touch, an iPhone, or indeed a phone that might have awakened him at 3:00 am when someone’s cell phone ‘pocket-dialled’ him. He didn’t even have what the late Melvin Barclay used to call ‘tricity’, so what kind of a life could he possibly have had?

            True, he had a brain the size of several buildings in Riley Brook, and he had strong arms and legs to walk all over the place and paddle a canoe to far-flung areas, but really, what fun could he have had? “In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex and solitude will not be solitude...” he wrote in ‘Walden’. There was a time when I didn’t know what that meant, but last evening, as I looked in on my favourite soap opera (the Stanley Cup finals) I finally knew. It was June 11. When I was a kid and interested in hockey, the season was over in April. Let us get a life before the season is year around and floods are every year.      
                                               -end-

No comments: