Tuesday 17 December 2019

Travelling man (Sept 18)



NOTES FROM THE SCOTCH COLONY

A bus trip from Montreal

                                    by Robert LaFrance

            After spending all too few glorious days visiting my grand-daughter in Montreal (I believe her parents were there too), I jumped on a bus that, ten hours later, deposited me in front of Squeaky’s in Perth-Andover. I had been missing my grand-daughter for about ten hours.
            Before I told you something about the trip I want to give you a good reason why the rest of us don’t live in cities.
            It was about 7:15 am on that Tuesday when I was sitting in my bus with another five dozen people and we saw, off to our left, something that made us all sigh in relief that we weren’t there.
            Ten lanes of city-bound traffic were stopped solid. We watched and watched and couldn’t see it budge an inch, or even a centimetre. Meanwhile we were zipping along at 100+ km/hr as we headed for, in my case certainly, rural Canada. Ten lanes of traffic back there. I didn’t know there were that many cars in Quebec.
            I will mention more about my trip later on, but first this anecdote: as our bus neared Perth-Andover, I received a text message from my wife, who was to pick me up at Squeaky’s which is the Maritime Bus Lines pickup point. “I might be a few minutes late,” she wrote. “They’re paving Fred Tribe Road and the flagmen and women have us backed up for a long way, maybe 15 vehicles. It’s a gridlock here.” My mind went back to those ten lanes of traffic going into Montreal.
                                                ********************
            It was a great visit to Montreal, at least for me. My daughter and son-in-law may have wanted me to git after two hours, but I hung on and kept Violet Grace entertained with trips around the streets of Verdun in her stroller. I mean, she was in the stroller and I was pushing it. We often allowed one or more of her parents to come along so they could pay for everything.
            There is a playground near to their apartment that is on 5th Avenue near LaSalle;  Violet sure loved visiting there and trying out all the equipment. I mean ALL the equipment. Picture this 71-year-old grandfather trying to keep up with the 13-month-old girl who zoomed from the slide to the swing to the see-saw to The Thing. I call it that because neither I nor anyone else had any idea what it was called, but, for some reason, it was Violet’s favourite.
            Then of course there was a whole lot of sand on the ground. At a guess I would say that the city has to bring in a truckload of fine sand once a month because all the many kids who played in were taking it home on their clothes and flesh, some even putting it in their mouths. Not to mention any names.
            Alas, my vacation from retirement was over all too soon, and on September 10th I set my alarm for 5:30 am and quietly went out to the street at 5:45. The taxi driver pulled up to the door right on time and my journey back to New Brunswick had begun. This guy drove like a taxi driver too, if you know what I mean. I noticed that the city speed limit was 50 km/hr but my driver added a zero to that. We were zooming down Ontario Street (Is a name like that even legal in Quebec?) when I stuck my head out to see that we were going 495 km/hr. I put my head back down and prayed some more, to whatever gods I could think of.
            We went through what seemed like half a dozen tunnels with the taxi driver doing a continuous narration. If I understood correctly, the Lafontaine Tunnel was going to be replaced with a new one within a few years. I said that was nice, could he keep his eyes on the road please? At 495 km/hr one could only imagine how much would be left of old Bob LaFrance if we hit something more determined than we were.
            Once out of the tunnel(s) I could see some famous Montreal landmarks, the Molson Building, Maple Leaf Gardens, construction cranes. I mentioned these to the taxi driver and he said Maple Leaf Gardens is not called that any more, and besides is in Toronto. The Montreal Canadiens play at the Bell Centre, right near the building where my son-in-law works. You learn something every day.
            By the way, the taxi driver didn’t actually say that my son-in-law works near the Bell Centre; I supplied that information. However, he knew everything else.
            I mentioned that the taxi I was in was crossing Verdun and downtown Montreal rather quickly, now here’s a question for you: On the Trans Canada Highway, the part that goes past Perth-Andover, the speed limit is 110 km/hr, but in the quickly-moving city of Montreal and the quickly-moving province of Quebec, the speed limit on the TCH is only 100 km/hr. Go figure.
            I wonder how fast my Montreal taxi driver would drive on the New Brunswick Trans Canada Highway? I can picture him crossing the provincial border above Edmundston: “Yahoo! Now I can open this thing up!”
            In Ste. Foy, where the Quebec City bus station is located, all the lunch counter signs were in French of course. I told the guy I wanted two (I was hungry) boites aux letters. “You just asked for two mailboxes, sir,” he said. “Sure you don’t mean croque-matin?” Apparently I did, because they were delicious.
            Aside from the joy of seeing Violet Grace, those were a few of the high spots of my trip to another country, Quebec. I am home in Kincardine and after I finish writing this column I plan to go split some wood for the winter of 2020-2021 and then have a cold beer, perhaps a Molson or whatever that’s called now.
                                                  -end-

No comments: