Tuesday 17 December 2019

Boardwalk ripped up (Oct 2)



NOTES FROM THE SCOTCH COLONY

Maybe a long, long shopping mall for Perth

                                    by Robert LaFrance

            I am all atwitter about the upcoming federal election due to take place in just less than three weeks. I really am. Now let’s move on to other subjects, ones that do not include the Washington, DC, con man.
            We in New Brunswick are finally getting rain, but it seems to have arrived either too early or too late. Too early for the farmers who would like to get their crops out of the ground and too late to provide the rest of us with some great garden crops.
            Getting away from our gardens and farmers’ fields, I will now send my annual ‘best wishes’ to the folks working at Alert, Nunavut, who are about to say goodbye to the sun until March 4th. I was working there from May 1974 to May 1975 in the weather service and went through that sunless period.
            Being deprived of Vitamin D for all those months brings down the spirits but I do have to admit that I cheated when in early January I hitched a ride over to Thule, Greenland with an RCAF C-130 Hercules fuel run and saw the sun for a couple of hours when we got up to our allotted altitude of 25,000 feet. It wasn’t enough.
                                                            ******************
            Back here in New Brunswick in 2019, I am pleased to say that I have had a wonderful apple crop this year. The bears seem to love the Alexanders. I can tell by the ‘sign’ they leave here and elsewhere in my orchard. To use Grampy’s phrase, some of the piles are so impressive that “two big men couldn’t shake hands” over them. I never asked why two men of any size would want to shake hands over a pile of #2.
            Now that it’s this time of the year – potato harvest – people of my age group (old)  keep saying crazy things like “I enjoyed those days, working in the fields, earning money and not having to go to school”. That last part was referring to what we used to call ‘potato break’, a 3-week hiatus when students of all ages reluctantly took a school holiday. Later it was reduced to two weeks when many potato farmers bought harvesters and later still it was eliminated.
            Here’s the part that continues to baffle me: most of the reasoning for dropping potato break was that it ‘was not educationally sound’. At that time we had what were called Christmas exams; once they were written that was the end of that part of the school year, but later on schools went to ‘semestering’ with exams in January. So then the students had to re-learn everything they had learned before Christmas. As I said I don’t get it, but there are a lot of things I don’t get, like that girl I met in 1973 in Surrey, BC.
            This part of the year is also the time when those of us with wood heat have to do some chainsaw work to keep our houses warm in the months to come. Two days ago I finally decided to saw up a beech tree my neighbour Larry had hauled up into my orchard. My Husqvarna was singing a nice tune and it wasn’t long before I had the tree cut up in 15- and 16-inch pieces for our kitchen cookstove. It was quite a warm day, so I took off my heavy safety pants just before I opened the kitchen door to go in for my lunch.
            The trouble is, before I went into the shed and the house, I didn’t look down by the garage. If I had, I would have seen the tan-coloured 2017 Ford Fiesta driven by Glenda, the older of the two Sagma sisters. Glenda and her sister Diane were in there talking to my wife and sipping on some tea while they solicited a donation for the Heart Fund.
            Picture the scene: two elderly ladies of delicate constitution sitting at the kitchen table when in through the shed doorway comes a certain Robert A. LaFrance attired only in some sweat-soaked boxer shorts. I would say those ladies were, at the least, nonplussed, and at the most, coronary. Good thing they were collecting for the Heart Fund because it looked as if all donations would be necessary – and soon.
            The last time I was in Perth-Andover, I noticed that the boardwalk on the Perth side was being ripped up. I was working for another newspaper when the boardwalk was being installed many years ago and remembered this week that it had cost $300,000 or so, more than I made in a week.
            When I saw this wanton destruction I could have driven across the river – actually across the bridge – to the village office and asked them there what was going on, but I have always been allergic to research. Better, I thought to myself (my favourite way), to speculate as to what is going to take place.
            Were they going to replace those aged board and planks with newer versions, or was the village of Perth-Andover going to put something completely different in that newly excavated space?
            I decided this needed severe thought, assisted by an order of fish and chips from Carolyn’s Takeout whose tables are strategically located across the street from the former boardwalk. With the aid of catsup, vinegar and tartar sauce, I put on my thinking cap.
            Maybe the village will plant grass there and have a LONG lawn bowling course, maybe a LONG miniature golf course, maybe a series of tables and chairs, or long-distance bass fishing seats, or maybe the longest narrowest shopping mall in Canada. Let’s wait and see.
                                  end

No comments: