Tuesday 17 December 2019

A very good band (Aug 7)



Bob’s into Heavy Metal now

                                    by Robert LaFrance

            Saturday, July 20, found me in Woodstock, NB (as opposed to Woodstock, New York or Woodstock, Ontario) and doing something I never would have predicted in a million years, or at least 100,000. I was sitting in Woodstock, in a Dooryard Festival venue tent and listening to ‘heavy metal’ music.
            And enjoying it.
            One of the featured groups was a 4-member band called Monteith, and one of the featured musicians in that band was my son Kinley who is officially now ten times the guitar player I ever was. Not a fan of heavy metal music generally, I decided to go to the live show so that my son would realize I supported him in whatever he did. And Wow! I really enjoyed myself. The rest of the band – Dan Monteith, Shaun Monteith, and Chaddus Provost – were great too and made the show into something to be remembered.
            I especially enjoyed a DragonFire cover they did called “Through the Fire and Flames”. The guitar solos were not possible, but they did them.
            I think the band has a great future if that July 20 show is any indication. Very professional and very skilful! Based in Northampton, across the St. John River from Woodstock, they have performed in many places now, including Fredericton, Saint John (where they won a Battle of the Bands this year), FollyFest in Gagetown, Moncton, Listugij, PQ, Tracadie, and other places. Go for it guys!
                                                *****************
            In other observations from this area: As I write these immortal words, I am getting a bit hungry because my wife Darlene is in Montreal where she is visiting our daughter, son-in-law and a little girl named Violet Grace.
            My wife has been gone two days and I am hungry for some good food. The problem is that she was so eager to see our grand-daughter that she forgot to show me where the electric stove is located so I can’t cook something, and she only left me five dollars and some change in case I want to buy groceries or eat out. Barely enough for a bottle of beer plus tip.
            Before she left though, she did list the more-or-less edible items in the fridge so I wouldn’t starve to death on the kitchen floor. “There are some cooked new potatoes from last Tuesday, some beets, ice cubes, Lady Ashburnam pickles, rye bread you bought in April, and I think there’s some milk.” She sure looks after me.
            To bring a little truth into this story, I should mention that I was cooking 7-ingredient omelettes when she was going into grade one. I was just looking for sympathy.
                                                *****************
            My friend George staggered into the club last evening, although he has been more likely to stagger out. He was tired after staying with his son while his wife was away. (It must be catching.)
“I just finished watching a cartoon with my son,” he began, after ordering a tall cold beer. “The cartoon was about two mice called Pinky and the Brain. Brain says to Pinky, who for some reason has an English accent: "Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
Pinky answers: "I think so Brain, but how are we going to get the Lady Gaga in a helicopter?” That more or less describes how things are around my house. I ask my son  how his day went. "Saturday afternoon I think.” comes the answer. I asked my youngest daughter what she plans to plant in her little garden and does she even want one, and she answers: "Chocolate, but is it tall enough?”
            Is it television, computers, our diets, nuclear testing, or is it just me when I say people rarely LISTEN to one another any more? What? Where was I anyway? What am I doing here? What is this thing with letters and numbers on the little keys?
             I know of a person who paid so little attention to his or her car that she put 35,000 kilometres on one oil change. I know a man who went out to get the mail and forgot his pants. (Not me.)
            It could be that there's so much information out there that every last one of us is suffering from overload. If we could just re-format our hard drives (clear out the old brains) back to a point where we could start learning again it would help our general well-being. Or not.
Talking to a farmer on the weekend, I may have gotten an idea. He was saying that some years he doesn't do anything with certain fields; this has the effect of rejuvenating them. It's called "lying fallow". Maybe that's what we all should do for a spell each year.
                                                *****************
            A final note: If any of my readers are carpenters I have some advice for them. I am not referring to the old saying ‘measure twice and cut once’ but another warning – don’t build a sawhorse unless you have a sawhorse in the first place to hold the boards and 2x4s you will use to make the sawhorse.            I bought some lumber last week to make a sawhorse but when I got it home I realized I needed a sawhorse to cut up the boards.
                                              end

No comments: