Sunday 3 March 2019

Robbie Burns Night (Jan 23)


You won’t see me wearing a kilt!

                                    by Robert LaFrance

            The 2019 version of Robbie Burns Night is scheduled for Friday evening, January 25, and Sunday afternoon, Jan. 27 and I have an important warning to issue about that event. I will be singing.
            The good news is that I will not be singing a solo, although thousands have begged me to do that very thing. The next good news is that, because of a shipping error by Amazon, UPS, Purolator and others, I will not be wearing a kilt.
            The shipping error was that none of those companies would agree to ship my kilt because they felt that the LaFrance Tartan was likely to spontaneously combust, even though the French and the Scots have gotten along well over the years, except for one example here in the Colony.
            Moving on, I think it is now time for me to think about New Year’s Resolutions – for other people.
            One of the first things I would like to see is the changing of names back to their earlier ones. One case I refer to (or ‘reference’ as CNN might say) is the New Brunswick government department that looks after our roads and other government infrastructure.
            At present it is called Department of Transportation and Infrastructure (DTI) which confuses people to no end. If one uses the initials of every job of every department he would choke on alphabet soup, so quit it willya? Go back to D.O.T. so citizens know what you’re talking about.
            Suppose you are talking about the organization that forces us to pay income tax every year. The Canada Revenue Agency could easily be called OTGOHMSODSFG. That would be the Outfit That Grabs Our Hard-earned Money and Sends it to Ottawa to Disappear into the Swamps of the Federal Government.
            Therefore, QED, as my high school math teacher Graeme MacIntosh might say, we can now go back to D.O.T. instead of DTI. The department does hundreds of other jobs, including installing guardrails and buying their own office equipment. Then they could be DTIIGBOE.
            Now I’ve confused myself so badly that I can’t even remember what that acronym stands for.
                                                ******************
            Last week I finally remembered to go in to the pharmacy and get a flu shot so I could be sick with the flu for a while and after I recovered to the physical wreck you see before you I wondered why it wouldn’t be possible to get a vaccine against other ailments, referring to (referencing) some of the annoying ways people act. (Of course, being perfect, I know I never annoy others.)
            Tailgating for example. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if there were some kind of injection one could bestow on these drivers that would make them smarten up? On my way uptown that day, I was driving 70 km/hr on the slippery road at the upper end of the Kilburn Flat and there was not a vehicle in sight in my rear view mirrors. I swear on the book Fifty Shades of Grey that I didn’t drive any more than half a kilometre before a Blue Chevvy was right on my rear bumper as if wanting to give it some kind of massage. I slowed down very gently so she would pass but the only result was that she got even closer. There was plenty of room to pass but no room for me to pull over.
            Finally the Chevvy went by and the driver held up a digit, one usually found in the middle of one’s hand, to indicate her thanks for my courtesy.
            Just think if there had been a vaccine, preferably delivered by laser, that would result in that driver acquiring at least part of a brain, so that I could drive to town at a legal and reasonable speed?
            Once I got back home and my arm started hurting, I thought about some other conditions that were crying in their need of a vaccine, preferable a retroactive one. Just think if a medical person could give Donald Trump a needle and have him magically transformed from being a 5-year-old child to a responsible adult.
            Oh, never mind. We can’t ask for miracles.
                                                *********************
            Closer to home than Washington, D.C., I notice that the NB Minister of Education, Dominic Cardy, has promised to do something about the large number of storm days for our province’s fresh-faced, eager to learn students. However, short of legislating against storms themselves, I can’t figure out what he thinks may be a solution to the problem.
            Having the students make up time on Saturdays has been tried and found wanting, making the school days longer has been mooted, keeping school in later in June as well (oh yeah! Students and teachers would love that!), and various other fixes have been tried.
            Hey, it’s winter and it’s New Brunswick. Unless we can move the whole place to Victoria, BC, just behind the Empress Hotel, there ain’t no solution unless all lessons are put on the Internet. Good luck D. Cardy.
                                        -end-

No comments: