Wednesday 18 April 2018

Ramming through a truck sale (April 18)



Truck a trifle rich for my blood

                        by Robert LaFrance

            On Tuesday morning I went into the pickup truck dealer and asked how much he wanted for that big red Dodge Ram over by the waving flags.
            “I’ll take $71,430 plus tax right today,” he said with a big grin, a totally unjustified big grin because he must have noticed that I had fainted and was lying on the ground.
            I arose from that icy ground. “Excuse me, I didn’t make myself clear; I was referring to that truck only, not to your entire stock.” He guffawed (I always wondered what that word meant). “Haw haw! Don’t forget, we have rebates on all our vehicles, cash rebates - ”
            Always a stickler for details, I asked just how much lucre we were talking about. “Forty-five hundred dollars,” he said with yet another guffaw. I was getting a little tired of his guffaw. What’s wrong with a lop-sided grin, chortle, giggle, titter, chuckle or snicker?
            “So let me get this straight,” I pressed. “I give you $71,430--”
            “Plus tax,” he interrupted.
            “Okay, I give you $71,430, plus tax, and you immediately hand me back $4500 in cash…Why don’t you just drop the price $4500 in the first place? Then I’d only have to pay sales on $66,930, am I right?”
            I can only use the word ‘shocked’ to describe his expression at this point. “But-but-but what about amortization, calculated recompense, defrayal and outlay premium?” I was getting a bit shocked myself. And then he went on to shock me even more when he said this: “You will receive your $4500 cheque within two days of your purchase.”
            “What do you mean CHEQUE?” I roared. “It says right there on your own sign CASH rebate!”
            Skipping to the bottom of this narrative, I am reporting that the conversation went downhill from there, which wasn’t easy. I went home in my 1989 Gremlin as a wiser man and decided I shouldn’t be so upset just because the world had clearly been re-designed by somebody (I blame the Irish) so that I could never again own a pickup truck. Gremlin  it is.
            Reminiscing now, I will mention that the last pickup truck – a real pickup truck and not one of today’s tanks that guys keep buying – that I owned was about 1981 when I bought a 1974 GMC halfton (as they were called then) from Jim Dixon who gave me a 30-30 warranty, thirty minutes or thirty feet from his driveway. Contrary to his expectations and mine, the truck lasted for eight years and was still running when I gave it to my brother, who used it to haul stovewood from a woodlot near his house.
            That GMC was the last vehicle on which I could make my own repairs. One Sunday morning the starter wouldn’t start the beast and I removed it, got a friend to take me and it down to Walter Hurley’s garage in Perth-Andover where Walter worked on it for half an hour rewinding something-or-other. Then I took the starter back home, installed it, and spun off down the road from Birch Ridge, where I was living at the time, to Tilley, where my cabin still stood. After that day the most mechanical work I ever did on that truck was changing the oil, and after a while I even quit doing that because I kept spilling oil on my tuxedo.
            That pickup truck was pretty much a legend in its own time. In those days Ford halftons and other Ford vehicles tended to fall apart because of rust to the point where there was formed an organization called The Rusty Ford Association, but I had a General Motors product, so it wasn’t supposed to rust, right?
            Wrong. First, the box rusted so badly it was in danger off falling off, so I did take it off and built a wooden box. Then the right front door looked like Swiss cheese, so I replaced that with a light coloured green door I had bought from my friend, cousin and former neighbour Murray Paris. Since my truck was red, or had been, it looked a little odd. Then the driver’s side door had to be replaced with a white one, and a few months later the floorboards themselves. I was just starting to date my future and long-suffering wife at that time and she complained that when sitting in the truck she could see the road passing under her feet. Women do tend to complain about minor items, don’t they?
            Back to the original subject, that $71,430 Dodge Ram. The reason I am writing this is that I just heard of an Internet site called Crowdfunding, where one may ask for money for a project. So…here I am, asking.
                                                   -end-

No comments: