Wednesday 18 January 2017

Holiday season is over - or is it? (Jan. 11/17)


Very pertinent observations early in 2017

                        by Robert LaFrance

            The first thing I heard in 2017: my son said Happy New Year and followed that with: “By the way, Papa, did you know that the word ‘oops’ is the plural of ‘oop’?”
            The holiday season of Christmas, Hanukkah and New Year is now over. I have not known what day of the week it is since about Friday the 23rd of December. The worst thing is, this had nothing to do with drugs or strong drink; it was just the old brain seizing up every time someone mentioned the day of the week. “Wednesday? No, I think it’s Sunday, isn’t it? Oh…it’s Friday.”
            Speaking of brain seizing and freezing, over the holidays a British singer named George Michael died and I had to admit I had never heard of him. Seriously. This guy was a music icon – pardon the overused word – in the 1980s and 1990s and everybody in the world but me knew exactly who he was, even from the days when he was part of the group called ‘Wham’.
            And then I remembered: I kept kids in those days and the only music I listened to was that of Fred Penner and Sharon, Lois and Bram because that’s what my kids listened to and sang. “It’s a beautiful day in the neighbourhood…” was my idea of music. That was Mister Rogers’s theme song.
            Even though I look back on the holidays just passed as a pretty good time – we here got to January 1st without mishap – there was a downside. Some may not think this serious, but in previous years I used to enjoy watching and listening to the Fireplace Channel on my TV. On my current satellite setup, it is channel 285.
            I used to turn off the lights in the living room and have the Fireplace Channel going. It was just like having a real fireplace with the wood flames flickering and cracking. Very relaxing.
            What changed? Some genius decided it would be much better to have the background be Christmas music and no crackling. If I wanted to listen to that I could go sit by the radio that is tuned to the Holiday Network. I just wish people would go by the  adage: “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”
                                    *************************
            Come to think of it, maybe I will make a New Year’s resolution or two.
            One thing I would like to see and will work toward (or at least wish for, and that ain’t easy) is the making of the visible and audible world a little less impersonal. Someone just told me that they work as an HR person with a large company and I was taken aback, mainly because I had forgotten that HR means ‘Human Resources’.
            Back in the GOD (Good Old Days), we would call this guy a ‘personnel manager’ but somewhere along the way that title became less personal even as it sounded more personal. A human resources manager sounds as if it might have something to do with humans, but that soon changed and became HR. It remains there today.
                                    **************************
            Also back in the GOD, the old pioneers and their horses, oxen and whatever animal they could find worked all day every day, often before daybreak and well after the sun went down, to clear the land for their crops and pastures.
            Our ancestors worked like dogs to feed themselves and other people and now people go out and plant trees on that same land while buying kiwi from New Zealand and California. In more recent memory, people cleared an entire acre so they could build a house and plant trees where trees had already been growing. Three weeks ago, I watched a front-end loader carry a 2-tonne boulder onto one of those front lawns. Very stylish.
            There is soon to be a new president to the south of us, and I don’t mean Gagetown, and the world will be stuck with a man who exhibits every sign of psychotic behaviour. (There goes my chance for a Green Card.) Everyone who has two elbows also has an opinion as to why Donald Trump won the big prize and the bigger curse.
            I have a few theories as to why he won which, by the way, surprised him more than anyone. I am thinking that the folks on the lower end of the U.S. income scale just got fed up looking at billionaires everywhere but at their house, and thought they would teach the ‘establishment’ a lesson, but they NEVER expected so many other people had the same idea.
            Everybody is scrambling to say that they had predicted he would win and it’s pathetic. Unwillingly, I tune in to American TV networks like CNN, ABC, CBS and NBC as well as the quasi-Fascist Fox New Network just to hear these big sillies swear on two bibles that they had known from the start that Trump would win. Of course I knew it, but I have too much class to mention it.
                                       -end-

No comments: