Wednesday 18 January 2017

Down with rap, hip-hop etc (Jan 4)



Singapore and more

                        by Robert LaFrance

            As you know, I start writing this column a week or more before it appears – as if by magic – in the Victoria Star.
It’s 8:40 on Christmas Day and my older daughter, visiting from Canterbury (not England), is playing Christmas tunes on the piano while her boyfriend, coincidentally also from Canterbury, watches and admires; my son is about to open some presents, as we all are, and my wife is putting the final touches on the Christmas chickens and pork  roast – no turkey for us.
Meanwhile, in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, my younger daughter and her husband are touring the city and waiting for us to finish opening our presents and place a Facebook Messenger phone call to them.
That was the plan anyway.
What really happened was that we received a note from Vietnam with instructions to call her via FB Messenger. I called on my ‘tablet’ which is like a smartphone with a big screen, and my daughter told us to put the tablet on a stand so she could just sit back in (the former) Saigon and watch the greed and avarice as we opened our gifts. She got to see and hear all that but didn’t have to clear up the mess.
As usual, I forgot to get my wife a present. The dog Minnie and I will share a meal in her little house. A bit crowded, but that’s the way it goes. On the other hand, my daughter in Canterbury received two rolling pins for Christmas.
                        **************************
I have no intention of making even one New Year’s Resolution, but I am thinking it’s time to reform the English language. When I hear someone use the word ‘fortuitous’ when they mean ‘lucky’ I wonder why it has to be that way. Let’s ban long words.
Referring to such bloated speech, my son said to me this morning: “The system is flawed.” Then he said: “Did you see that word I just used, the one at the end of the sentence? Why can’t we spell that ‘f-l-o-d’?”
He’s quite a bit smarter than he looks.
                        **************************
Here’s something I heard many years ago and then this morning once again. A chap on the radio, a Bob MacDonald I think (or it could have been Mae West), was saying that although everyone looks into the mirror every morning before they send themselves out into the world, that face in the mirror is not the one the world sees.
It is a mirror, after all, Bob or Mae said. “So everything is reversed. When you part your hair on the left and think that’s just fine, what the world sees is your dubious face with the hair parted on the right.”
What was his or her solution to this heart-rending dilemma? Use two mirrors in your bathroom. That way, looking into the second mirror which is showing the mirror image of the first mirror, you see the true you.                                                                                                     *************************
Another rule I would like to see is a total ban on one family owning two cars from the same company, but of different years. Our present 2015 Toyota Corolla has seat warmers but our 2009 Toyota Yaris does not. It was quite a shock, so to speak, when I was in the Yaris yesterday and pushed the button for my seat warmer and found I had put my finger in the cigarette lighter.
Here’s a New Year’s resolution for others: Have you noticed that so many people nowadays, especially those being interviewed on radio and TV, to start sentences with the word “so”? The interviewer might ask how a soccer player found the change from defender to striker and he answers: “So, at first it was…etc.” I’m baffled as to why he would feel the need to start his sentence with ‘so’.
A question only two weeks before Donald Trump takes office: What is he going to do when he finds out that climate change isn’t really a Chinese hoax? Or when his pal Vladimar Putin turns out to be a hoodlum, an Adolph Hitler wannabe?
At the beginning of this new year, I hereby express my admiration for the marketing geniuses who figured out many years ago that a wonderful fashion statement for teenagers would be jeans with holes and rips all through them. If someone had told me this might be possible, I would have laughed in my lemonade, but since then a billion dollars of these garments have been sold. Hats off – but not my hat, it’s a bit frayed and holey – to these folks. The same to the music companies who, instead of music, chose to record and sell something called ‘rap’ or ‘hip-hop’.
                                                                      -end-

No comments: