Wednesday 18 May 2016

Lester the drunk has his own bar code (May 18)



DIARY

Crossing the river sane? – not Aloyisius!

                        by Robert LaFrance

            My friend Flug (real name Richard LaFrance – no relation) got one of THOSE email messages last week. It was purportedly from his nephew Aloyisius who was in a jail along ‘the River Sane’ in Paris and needed $2658 to pay off the prosecutor. That was all well and good, as grampie used to say, but when the email arrived Aloyisius was sitting in Flug’s living room and eating cherry pie on a new formerly beige chesterfield. That reference to the River Sane was because the scam ‘artists’ spelled that Paris river (Seine) that way in the letter. It was a clue.
            An example of changing generations: In my day (I am now 68) when someone saw a car parked close to a building but as far out of sight as possible it was because a guy and his best girl were ‘parking’, but nowadays it is more likely to be someone trying to get a free Wi-Fi signal.
            Everyone tries to ignore Canada, and usually does a good job of it. The BBC recently reported that Sadiq Khan, the newly elected mayor of London, England, was “the only Muslim mayor of a major western city”. Surely Calgary, Alberta, and Mayor Naheed Kurban Nenshi would argue with that statement. By the way, Donald Trump has said that if he were president, his ban on Muslims travelling to the U.S. would “make an exception” of the London mayor. He didn’t mention Nenshi of course.
            Flug and I were having a good laugh last evening when Lester Habob, the town drunk (and that’s saying something!) staggered in to the club, followed by his chauffeur and valet. The mixologist Billy Bond (no relation to his cousin James) has given Lester his own bar code.
            Everywhere we go these days we hear announcements about the deer tick and the fact that it carries the Lyme Disease bacterium to us unsuspecting woods travellers. I hope none of us gets it. One feature of just about every report is the opinion that doctors are very reluctant to diagnose it. I don’t know if that’s true, but I hope not.
            Once again today I heard a Fredericton based politician, doing his best to close rural hospitals, say that because Ottawa, with a similar population, has only five general use hospitals, so our province should have the same. I looked it up on Google Maps and I’m pretty sure it’s farther from Grand Manan to Bas-Caraquet than it is from the Ottawa River to Sharel Drive where I used to live with a family from Lutes Mountain.
            Three days ago I went fishing in Bubie Brook near here. Because there are frequent bear sightings around here (similar to a Turkish bath – bare sightings, get it?) I took a can of bear repellent in my jacket pocket, my cellphone in my shirt pocket, and put my wallet securely in a pants pocket. It wasn’t until I climbed back up the bank near Burns Hall that I realized I no longer had any of the three. Calm down though; I found all three about six feet behind the car that I had parked near the hall. It was a good day; I even caught a fish. Flug had caught one the day before, just before he saw a bear. “Next time I take a roll of Delsey with me.” He declared.
            Down at the club we often hear some of the older members complaining about young people and their torn jeans, metal harpoons through nostrils, drooping pants and other affectations, including the wearing of baseball caps backwards while the sun beats down into their eyes. Last week I found out the reason for the backward baseball cap business. The wind was howling on this mountain and my cap blew off twice. Flug’s teenage nephew Swansea spent an hour raking the lawn outside (where else?) and not once did HIS cap blow off. The reason? That howling wind couldn’t get a hold on the cap’s visor because it was down along his neck. Perhaps we should listen to young people more often. They have some good ideas.
            We often hear about John James Audubon, the naturalist and artist who made thousands of paintings of birds, supposedly in the wild. He is considered a great guy by those who love nature, but I wonder how many people realize that before he painted those birds he shot them. The SPCA here in Canada probably doesn’t realize that this French guy who came to the U.S. in the early 1800s killed more birds than Donald Trump has said the word ‘huge’.
            New Brunswick has a public debt in the range of $13 billion but I was staggered yesterday – well, mildly surprised – to learn that the U.S. territory of Puerto Rico has a debt of $70 billion. Wow! It’s about the size of Tilley, not including Lerwick. Come on New Brunswickers, let’s start spending!
                                                        -end-

No comments: