Wednesday 18 May 2016

Enjoying the livestock sales (April 13)



DIARY

Where were you when I needed you?

                        by Robert LaFrance

            On April Fool’s Day, April 1st, also known as Poisson d’Avril, I saw my first robin of the year 2016. This should have been a sign of spring, or, as I call it, SPRING, but it wasn’t. I stepped off the porch, tripped over an ice-filled bucket, and fell on my face on the ice-hard front lawn.
            My question was: where in the blue noodle heckfire was SPRING when I needed it? Why hadn’t it been on site to thaw that lawn so it didn’t hurt my face so much?
            As I lay there dazed – yes, even more than usual – on the lawn, that robin looked over at me and, I swear this is true, sneered at my clumsiness. If he (or she) could have spoken, it would have said: “If you’re wondering why I haven’t shown up sooner, it was because Donald Trump wouldn’t let me by.” This is rather silly because I have it from a reliable source that Donald Trump doesn’t care if the robins are in Peru, Edmundston, or (the bilingual ones) in Quebec City.
                                    *************************
            It was nostalgia time again this morning. I drove by the former Co-op auction barns in Florenceville and remembered the days when I was in my early teens and used to come down there every Monday morning to sit and munch hot dogs while watching the livestock auction. I would go down there with Murray Paris, who often bought calves or piglets to raise during the summer. It was a great and interesting experience, especially the day when the lone livestock handler had to control three or four bulls and heifers that were being sold. One day he was gored slightly by a bull’s horn and he beat the animal over the head with a shovel handle. Not fun to look at. A farmer from Centreville quickly put in a high bid on the bull, probably to stop the abuse.
            When I was around 40 years old, I was back at that same auction barn and watching the sale of farm animals while one or more of my own kids munched hotdogs. They really enjoyed going there in the days before they had to go to school and be picked on by their teachers – including their mother.
            A great bonus by that time was the barbecue set up outside the auction floor by Kalman Gere, a 70-year-old Hungarian guy (but born in Croatia) from Prince William. His bratwurst were…my mouth is watering as I write about them. I can’t go on.
            Sadly, there is no regular livestock sale there any more, and Kalman doesn’t cook that bratwurst there any more. He died in November of 2014.
                                    *************************
            Recently there have been quite a few headlines in my daily newspaper about the growing of marijuana once the federal government makes it legal, and there has been the expected uproar from certain segments of society who would object to air if they could find a semi-lucid way of expressing it.
            Here is my opinion – jump on it, NB. Some of the objections are out there because some don’t want the province to invest in what could be a big industry within a few years. Take a look at Colorado. If I read their spreadsheet correctly, that state collects somewhere around $70 million a year in taxes, permits and other charges. And WE are talking about a mere $500 million provincial deficit? Get smoking, everyone!
            (Note: One of the people objecting to New Brunswick’s taking in revenue from legalized marijuana – while ignoring all the income from liquor and beer sales – said last week during a TV interview that NB should “take the high road”. I’m not kidding; he said to take the HIGH road.)
                                    ****************************
            My friend Flug has a friend named James Hutchison, from up around Plaster Rock way. That’s all right. I’m not saying it isn’t, but the only trouble is that in the court news in a Fredericton newspaper last week, they named a James Hutchison who had been arrested for  robbing a corner store, damaging a house in the ritzy part of town by throwing a brick through the window, stealing a car and assaulting a police officer.
             I mean, this is all okay in a way – we all have to have a crime spree now and then – but the James Hutchison who lives near Plaster Rock isn’t the same James Hutchison as the crime spree guy in Fredericton. So our James has been going around, practically door-to-door, and letting people know that he is a law-abiding citizen and wouldn’t say “Scat!” to a cat.
            All this instant communication these days can sure cause problems.
                                                -end-

No comments: