Wednesday 18 May 2016

A short trip to CrazyLand (May 4)



DIARY

The flush really doesn’t care about gender

                        by Robert LaFrance

            Many people, when they heard that Prince had died, sent condolences to Queen Elizabeth II, who was a little baffled since all her princes were tucked in for the night and accounted for. Except Harry. She never knows what he’s up to. A few hours later one of the kitchen staff informed her that Prince was an American rock star from Minnesota.
            Music superstars have taken quite a hit lately. Merle Haggard, David Bowie and of course Prince have gone on their ways; one can’t help thinking it must have been with a certain sigh of relief to go when they saw the likes of Donald Trump lining up to lead the nation.
            I think the problem is that Americans don’t have enough to do, whether because the company they used to work for has been shipped off to Korea, because they’re rich or simply because they’re stupid. (Believe it or not, some Canadians aren’t too swift either.)
            But back to insulting the U.S.A. Their latest dumb-ass campaign has something to do with the fact that LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) people might be allowed to use the same washrooms as God-fearing ‘Amurricans’.
            Seriously. This has become a political issue. Should someone who has changed gender be allowed in the washrooms of their new gender? I’m not kidding. Facebook has lit up with this issue and many states are mulling laws about it.
            Here are a few sentences from a CBC News report: “Transgender bathroom access has become a hot political topic in the U.S…. North Carolina just passed a law stipulating that anyone using a public bathroom must use the bathroom assigned to the gender appearing on his or her birth certificate.”
            Prince is in Heaven and saying: “Whew! Dodged that one.”
                                    **************************
            Back to reality from that short trip to CrazyLand, I notice that Canadian municipalities and provinces are lining up to get a piece of the $125 billion infrastructure money the federal government is doling out over the next few years in accordance with the Liberals’ election promises.
            New Brunswick will get the lion’s share of course…sorry. That was wrong, but I grew up in the Sixties and keep getting these flashbacks. What I meant to say is that New Brunswick will get the fruitfly’s share, while the usual suspects – Quebec and Ontario – have already lined up at the trough. Once they’re appeased, there might be a dollop for the rest of us.
            It reminds me of the Henderan family of southeast Tilley where I grew up. I used to visit there sometimes to try and gather up enough players for a softball game, and they always seemed to be fighting about food. Mrs. Henderan would bake six loaves of bread and before that had cooled off she had to start another batch. In that case, I was Justin Trudeau – but much better looking – as I watched them wrangle.
            It looks as if New Brunswick might get $90 million of this infrastructure money, so I can look forward to driving on smooth roads in the near future. Two days ago I drove to Woodstock from our estate in Kincardine and found once again that old jokes are often the most accurate.
            Remember the one about the comedian describing a very bad road? The only time it got smooth was when he left it and drove along the ditch. I ask you to drive (slowly) along Highway 105 from the Victoria-Carleton county line to Bath. Although 3,499 potholes have been repaired (well, filled) the road is VERY rough. At several points I drove on the shoulder of the road where it was much smoother.
            Keep in mind that this is the ‘Scenic Route’ in a province that is promoting tourism. It is, in fact, scenic, because there are car engines, parts of pickup trucks, and demolished RVs all along the way.
            I am told from official sources that one third of that 14.7 km stretch of road will be replaced with new asphalt, etc. this summer, but the remaining two-thirds will have to wait until 2017 and 2018 to have the full treatment. Meanwhile, we drive on the shoulder and nearby fields.
                                    **************************
            Because of the sunny, though cold, weather, I have been setting some plants out in my garden and sheltering them under plastic. I was in the midst of that operation just this morning when my friend and neighbour Flug showed up for some lemonade, as is his habit in the morning. And afternoon, and evening.
            He took a peek under the plastic. “Whoa!” He shrank back. “You’re not allowed to grow that until Justin Trudeau makes it legal.”
            Ooops. I had better pay more attention. It reminded me of the time, years ago, when a police car pulled into my driveway to ask directions and pointed to some plants near the garage. “What’s that?” she said. I said it was tansy, which my friend Louie had said it was. It took me and my lawyer a while to talk my way out of that one.
                                           -end-

No comments: