Wednesday 7 October 2015

Smartphones smarter than I (Sept 30)

Don’t blame me for the Volkswagen fiasco

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            If someone had told me on April 18th that I would have to have an air conditioner running in the house on September 18, I would have told them they were either crazy or smoking something legal in Colorado but not here.
            It’s either global warming or Communism, but the weather and climate have become crazy, like a cross between a wolverine and a Komodo Dragon – and what an interesting union that would been.
            Enough talking about the weather and even the election – neither of which I can do anything about – I go on to comment on a story in the Sept. 17 edition of my daily newspaper: “Province’s former youth advocate gets prestigious award.”
            The reporter was referring to Bernard Richard, former cabinet minister, ombudsman, etc. who received an unnamed award for “promoting human rights on a volunteer basis”.
            While this award from the NB Human Rights Commission seems to be a good thing, my question is about the use of the word ‘prestigious’. When is an award non-prestigious?
            I’m thinking of my friend Flug, who recently was named “Best Lemonade Drinker Age 60 and Over” down at the club. That was a non-prestigious award, but where do we draw the line? If I get named Kincardine Writer of the Year and go on the Wall of Fame here, is that prestigious? Or does that fall just under the bar, which is what Flug did when he received his plaque.
                        *************************
            So many things these days are misnamed, but I am finding smartphones are not.
            Ten days ago I bought one, a Moto E, for a reason that escapes me. My ordinary cellphone was working well, I knew how to set everything on it including the alarm, ringtone – stuff like that – and I needed a smartphone about as much as I needed a fourth earlobe.
            My new phone zooms. Within twenty seconds I can find out how many tonnes of nickel Argentina shipped to Albania last year, just in case that subject comes up during casual conversation.
            It seems that everyone – except maybe Aunt Freda – owns a smartphone now, and several people actually know how to use them. In my own case it was three days before I learned how to answer a phone call – true story. My nephew called me about something and I kept punching and tapping the phone icon to no avail. It turned out I was supposed to drag that icon over to another, hidden, icon.
            “How in the &^%$#(# am I supposed to know there’s a picture of a phone sitting there?” I asked Flug. He said that I was an idiot.
                        ******************************
            Speaking of Flug, he’s quite sad these days because (1) he just got divorced from his 14th (or possibly 15th) wife, and (2) on the same day he asked another lady for a date and she said: “June 17, 2019.” I have tried to tell him many times that women are occasionally cruel, like most of the time, but that he should stay in the game until the last out.
            “This ain’t lacrosse, Bob. I’ve put a lot of time into chasing her around the barstools, but she was one of them professor types. Once she explained that the words ‘discourse’ and ‘intercourse’ can mean the same thing; that I already knew. We were text messaging at the time and I asked if what we were doing was ‘textual intercourse’. The air got frigid at that point.”
                        *******************************
            There’s a Yiddish word ‘chutzpah’ which means (more or less) gall, not to insult anyone of French ancestry, like myself, and I would say that the Volkswagen company has plenty of it.
            The funny part of the whole Volkswagen fraud is that no one seems upset by it. People who have Volkswagen diesels right now figure that the company is going to suck up to them and recall their vehicles, plus giving them a wad of cash; those who don’t own the VW cars think they are now going to get a tremendous deal on one, and those who are don’t own a VW and don’t plan to buy one are just plain too busy paying off their Prius and Lincoln cars.

            This is undoubtedly the biggest fraud I have ever heard of. On the day it was disclosed, VW stock took a hit of $21 BILLION. The company is facing fines of $18 billion but of course will pay about a dollar seventy-one, and their sales will probably go through the basement floor, for now. The president of the company has resigned and probably will have his Christmas bonus reduced. What a fiasco! I’m envious.
                                                      -end-

No comments: