Wednesday 28 October 2015

Interviewing Mike Duffy (October 14/15)

DIARY October 14, 2015

Never mind Aristotle, Socrates and them there guys

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            It is said that those philosopher fellows from long ago knew everything and were always right. People like Aristotle and Socrates seemed to have an extra billion brain cells, even though they often disagreed with each other.
            Later on in life, Socrates made people mad at him and was sentenced to death – suicide by drinking a cup of hemlock – which I thought all this time was a tree. No word on Aristotle, but I think he came back as Don Cherry.
            The reason I mention these philosophers is that the greatest philosopher of them all recently died. Yogi Berra, catcher for the New York Yankees and later manager of that team, Yogi, who even had a cartoon character named after him, was a master of the well-timed and delivered quote. It’s over now for him, but one of his best-known quotes was “It ain’t over ‘till it’s over.”
            If you get a chance to read a book about him, do so by all means, but remember that he wasn’t just a clown, but one of the greatest baseball players who ever lived.
            A few examples of hundreds:
            “When you come to a fork in the road, take it.”
            “Nobody goes to that restaurant any more, it’s too crowded.”
            “Ninety percent of this game is half mental.”
            (At a Yankee practice) “Pair up in threes.”
            “You saw Dr. Zhivago? Why? Aren’t you feeling well?”
            And his most famous of all: “It’s déjà vu all over again.”
                        *************************
            Is it really possible in Canada, a country of mostly intelligent people, that this election is going to be fought on the issue of whether two Muslim women may wear a niqab, a piece of cloth that covers their faces when they are to be sworn in as Canadian citizens?
Does it seem as if SOMEBODY in high office is trying to deflect our attention from the rather boring subjects of medical care, unemployment, corrupt senators, bad roads, the environment, and so on and so on?
By inadvertence I was somewhat involved in that niqab business. Yesterday I had to go in a crawl space across some rocky ground to adjust some water pipes in our basement, and was able to do that, but what happened afterward was the weird thing.
I walked outside to get some cobwebs out of my face and who should come along but Big Denny, the bartender at the club. He shrank backward, as if he had seen a skunk sticking its head out of my coat pocket.
“You can’t wear THEM!” he said, paling and pointing at my legs. “The police will come along and arrest you.” It took me quite a while to persuade him that ‘niqabs’ and ‘knee-pads’ are two different things and that religion had played no part in my garb.
            *****************************
On October 5 I took all our plastic, tin cans, newspapers, and cardboard uptown to the recycling dumpster behind the Perth post office. As soon as I could see the bins I also could see that someone had left six or seven full garbage bags of recyclables in front; this usually means that the bins are all jammed full.
But they weren’t. They were all empty, which meant that whoever brought those garbage bags just didn’t want to bother putting everything in the recycling bins. None of my business perhaps, but it did tend to ruin my sterling reputation. As I was leaving two people drove in, looked at the garbage bags still sitting there, looked at me and immediately thought: “You lazy ^%$#($#&&&!”
I’m innocent I tell you.
            ******************************
I think it’s a shame that Mike Duffy’s name is rarely being mentioned these days, but it’s the nature of the news biz today that what is vital and world-shaking one day is old-hat the next.
As usual, whenever I hear his name I ask myself: who is paying his legal bills? He didn’t have $90,000 to pay back those senate expenses, but he hired a lawyer whose billable hours must cost in the range of $5000 each. His briefcase could be traded for a Volvo.
Back to the point, I was thinking that the Duff and Nigel Wright must be feeling a bit neglected these days. Accordingly, I emailed them both last evening and asked if they each wanted to do a text-messaging interview. “Sure!” they both wrote back within minutes.
So sometime in the coming weeks you will read those interviews in this column. They will be hard-hitting ones too. “Is Stephen Harper trustworthy?” I will ask them both. Once they stop laughing you, I, and the rest of Canada will have the answer.
That’s it for this week. Best wishes to all of us.

Now I want to send out my annual greeting and electronic sympathy card to the folks at Alert, Nunavut, where I spent 54 weeks in 1974-5. This year the sun went down for the winter on October 9 and won’t be back until March 4, 2016.
                                       -end- 

No comments: