Tuesday 14 October 2014

Feeling guilty about growing tansy (Sept 24)

My client regrets his (her) actions, your honour

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            What we need is some kind of media translator (MT) to take statements made by politicians, business leaders, janitors – in other words, people in power – and change them into what the speakers REALLY mean.
            Reading a story in today’s daily paper, I was struck by the words uttered by the defendant’s lawyer. “The defendant is full of regrets for what has taken place and the pain he (she) has caused.”
            If we had a good working MT, it would translate that into: “The defendant is full of regrets for getting caught and the pain and expense that he (she) has gone through in serving the minimum amount of time in jail.”
            On a similar subject, I sat dozing in my living room easy chair when all of a sudden I was either dreaming or looking at a TV show about some guys from the era of the Three Musketeers. They were what used to be called ‘swashbucklers’. It reminded of the guy (gal) in court who had been buckling swashes all over the place before he (she) got caught. A lot of people think we should go back to the days of the Three Musketeers when serious crimes resulted in the tipping of the cap with the head still in it.
            I can’t say I subscribe to that sort of thing, but it’s tempting to think of now and then. Trouble is, when you have permanent solutions like that you can’t go back and say “Oops!”
            On a side note, I don’t remember ever seeing the Three Musketeers with muskets, but almost always swords, so it was false advertising in the first place.
                                    *****************************
            A couple of Mondays ago, as I was out picking apples so the bears wouldn’t have quite so many, a red and white helicopter appeared over the horizon. For the next half hour that vehicle went back and forth over the area; I couldn’t help but think that it must have been the RCMP looking for The Deadly Grass (TDG).
            In spite of the fact that I don’t grow anything stronger than tansy, I couldn’t help feeling guilty. A couple of times I held out my wrists for handcuffs, but they didn’t land, at least not around here. Maybe it wasn’t the police at all, but a political execution squad looking for escaping Bloc Quebecois members, but whoever it was, I don’t think I like helicopters hovering over my             gardens. After all, Save-Easy sells tomatoes, and even basil so they can hover there.
            A few days after this incident, if it could be called an incident, I read in my daily newspaper that there had been major marijuana and cocaine ‘busts’. A big co-ordinated police operation in Quebec and the Maritimes.
            As usual, I am confused as to why we might have a police helicopter (if that’s what it was) perusing my garden and orchard and spending $1000 an hour to do it, while in some areas of Canada and the U.S. cannabis is legal. Of course, as I often hear from certain wives of mine, it doesn’t take much to confuse me.
                                    *****************************
            I try to see the funny side of things and then come and report it to you, but sometimes I don’t need any help finding a funny side.
            Ten days ago I was perusing the Sportsnet channel when I came across two gents arguing about a certain rule that Major League Baseball wants to bring in. One of these two gents was all for the new rule and the other one wasn’t “because it might slow down the game”.
            There is not a whole lot I can add to that. The idea of something that could possibly make the game of baseball any slower is away beyond anything I could imagine.
                                    ******************************
            A lot of people are going to say I’m lying about the following news item: On August 12, a man named Louis Riel won a ‘Best Big Toe’ contest in Brandon, Manitoba. From what I can guess, this is an annual contest in that city, part of their Prairie Days celebration.
            Louis Riel – and that is the winner’s Riel name – I mean real name – is a barber from the nearby town of Forrest Station. He told reporters he spent days cutting his toenails and just generally buffing his feet. They shone like the sun. As a mechanical engineer might say: “Truth is stranger than friction.”

            Louis Riel – the barber, that is – won $500 cash and an autographed picture of the original Louis Riel. I hope he doesn’t meet the same fate – being elected to Parliament I mean.
                                                           -end-

No comments: