Tuesday 14 October 2014

"A hot toddy is what you need" (Sept. 17)

A truly staggering coincidence

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            I know that life is full of coincidences, but sometimes they are a little beyond coincidence.
            Take, for example, the remarkable coincidence of the charge against Liberal candidate Andrew Harvey being made public, not only during his election campaign in our riding, but one day too late for the party to put in another candidate if they wanted to. Remarkable.
            In case it hasn’t been clear from media reports – and it hasn’t - Andrew Harvey will still be running for the Liberals.
            While I am temporarily on this subject, I should point out that both “major” parties (as they call themselves) have and will encourage such ‘coincidences’. There ain’t no angels in politics.
            From the wildly entertaining subject of politics, I move on to the extremely annoying subject of the common cold. Some people capitalize the words Common Cold, but I am not here to praise Caesar, but to bury him.
            As of Tuesday, Sept. 2, I had not had a cold for six or eight months. I was beginning to think that I had found the answer to avoiding that particular malady. Whatever that answer was, I didn’t know, but I assumed I was just one of the lucky ones – invincible.
            Then came Tuesday, Sept. 2. You will have seen some of the old photos of men driving spikes as they built the railroads – keep that in mind, because that’s what happened to me. I was that spike and the cold was the hammer.
            “A hot toddy is what you need,” said my friend Flug, so we looked on the Internet for a good recipe. The one that sounded best to me was the one that combined 3.5 tablespoons of brandy, the same amount of water, a half teaspoon of honey, all heated and stirred together.
            I mixed them all up and left the cup on the counter. Meanwhile, the phone rang and a few seconds later Flug came in. Seeing the cup, decided there wasn’t nearly enough brandy. He added a dollop (4.36 ounces) more.
            My phone call over, I strode to the hot toddy cup. “I wonder if 3.5 ounces is enough?” I asked myself, and you know the answer to that question.
            Long story shorter, within ten minutes I was snoring in my favourite chair while the TV quietly played some old-time country music, my favourite. My wife came in and tried to awaken me, but as she shook me I slud (yes, I said ‘slud’ just like Dizzy Dean) onto the floor. She told me this afterward, when I awoke with an even worse cold and headache.
            “While you were on the phone, I saw your hot toddy on the counter,” she said to my aching head, “and added a dollop of brandy because it looked a little weak.” Apparently I drank a gallon of brandy from that one 12-ounce glass. That ain’t no dollop.
                                                *****************************
            Have you ever known anyone who didn’t get colds and who never was sick? Ever? I have such a relative. He is, by popular demand, about to emigrate to New Zealand, and if there were anywhere farther away I would pay his train fare.
            Cousin Eldred LaFrance, a former resident of Victoria County, is one of those chaps who visit people a lot, and in his wake people get sick – not of him, because he’s likeable and entertaining – but he is a Carrier.
            After extensive medical lab tests, the professionals have ascertained that Eldred carries on and around him the germs and viruses for everything from sickle cell anemia to ulcers to syphilis to The Common Cold. The government wanted to execute him and carefully put the remains in a vat of hydrochloric acid, but instead bought him an isolated kiwi farm in New Zealand. You can’t say Stephen Harper isn’t decisive.
                                    *****************************
            On Monday afternoon, after I had finished working and slaving for the day, I took a lawn chair out to my apple orchard and sat there in the shade while I read an Agatha Christie novel. I heard – and even felt – a thump and looked down to see that an apple had fallen almost at my feet.
            It just goes to show you how important timing is. Comedians Don Rickles and Bob Hope used to say that timing wasn’t just important, it was everything, and that was proven once again.
            A few centuries earlier, if that apple had fallen onto my head, I might have been the one who discovered gravity and Sir Isaac Newton would have been just a bum, a university lecturer who bored all his acquaintances with his foolishness about inertia and stuff like that.

            On the other hand, I should point out that the apple that fell at my feet was an Alexander and it was huge. If that had whacked me on the noggin I would have still been staggering around that orchard.
                                                 -end-

No comments: