Thursday 31 July 2014

Robbie Burns was a wise but mousy man (July 23)

The Scots and the Irish do sometimes agree

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            The 18th century Scottish poet Robert Burns wrote in a poem called “To a Mouse” that “the best laid schemes of mice and men gang aft agley” and I have a feeling he was thinking of me.
            Perhaps I should translate that, at least the last part. “Gang aft agley” means ‘fly all to heck’ and especially fly all to heck in the most inconvenient way possible. So it was when I was brook fishing on Tuesday morning and fell in almost to my chin.
            Although the brook is no more than a foot deep at its lowest point (it ain’t no Marianas Trench!) I did manage to fall in to my beard by tripping over a log that someone named Arthur recently dropped there.
            (I should hastily explain that it wasn’t my neighbour Arthur Phillips who did the deed, but Hurricane Arthur, or ‘sub-tropical storm Arthur’ as they’re calling him now, who had swept through here like a dance hall girl through a convent.)
            Walking along the brook in search of the elusive trout, I came across a rotten tree trunk that had been standing a week before, and I tried to lift up my ancient foot over it. The bones and muscles did not cooperate and my foot slipped, depositing me on the floor of Bubie Brook. Although I didn’t smash a rock with my head or drown, it was a near thing.
            However, this was not the example of ‘gang aft agley’ that I wanted to present. Although Robert Burns was a Scotsman, and Murphy’s Law was written by an Irishman, they came together nicely on that day.
            Soaked to the skin (as they say), I made my way back home and on the way soaked my car seat. I felt better fifteen minutes later because I was in dry clothes, had had a cold drink and was all ready to mow our front lawn as I planned to do earlier before I had decided to chase trout.
            We have three push mowers so that we can be sure of at least one of them working, so I started cranking the Craftsman because it has always been the most reliable. On my 89th crank I guess it wasn’t going to start, although I had checked everything possible. The gas was ethanol-free, there was ‘fire’ going to the sparkplug, it was primed, but no way on this green earth could I get that started.
            I moved on to the Lawn Boy, and boy, did it act like a Lawn Boy. After 47 pulls on the cord, even I knew it wasn’t going to start. It reminded me of an old McCullough chainsaw father used to have: it worked perfectly until he took it to the woods. It’s still up there in Tilley somewhere, since the day he threw it in a kind of knuckleball against the trunk of a large rock maple tree. In later years I had a snowblower like that; it worked great in July, but as winter approached it became harder and harder to start.
            So, on to the third mower. It was another Craftsman. You would think you could trust a piece of equipment called Craftsman, but you couldn’t trust this one either. My right arm was 34 centimetres longer by the time I finished cranking on that one.
            If you ever want a perfect illustration of the phrase ‘glutton for punishment’ you would only have had to look at me on that day. I refer to the fact that, instead of walking away from those three pieces of (expletive deleted by writer) and sitting in front of the TV, I started from the beginning and gave each of them another chance, just as my high school English teacher, Miss Sara Williams, would give me after I had murdered a conjunction or split an infinitive into many pieces. To my complete surprise, none of the lawn mowers would start the second time around, and so ends my story of “the best laid schemes of mice and men gang aft agley”.
Wait…I should go on to relate the epilogue of this story, courtesy of my wife, who shall remain nameless.

            After I gave up trying to start those mowers, I went inside and turned on an educational TV show called “Naked Sorority Girls at Midnight” (all about anatomy) and watched that until I fell asleep. I was rudely awakened after only about ten minutes by the noise of a lawn mower just outside the living room window. The noise was courtesy of certain spouses of mine. I pulled the blinds, put in earplugs and got a large bottle of lemonade out of the fridge, which was working. I hate Robert Burns.
                                                -end-

No comments: