Friday 11 July 2014

Remembering the drive-in theatres (July 9)

Going to the Boundary Line Drive-in

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            Oh, but it’s hot today, and muggy. It takes all my moral courage to remember my vow during the winter when we were having twelve snowstorms a week: “I promise not to complain about the hot weather this coming summer (if it ever arrives) if you’ll just get us out of this never-ending snowstorm season.”
            Sure enough, I went outside at about 8:00 am today and was struck in the face by Sahara-like heat. I opened my mouth to practise my cursing, but then remembered my promise. Next time I make a promise why don’t I just not make any promises?
            That brings me to a recent PBS-TV show about drive-ins and THAT brought me to remember the Boundary Line Drive-in at Fort Fairfield, Maine. Just beyond that, a mile (as we used to say in our old style of speaking), there was a “grocery” store called Puddle-dock. I never did learn how to spell it, but I certainly knew where the Pabst Blue Ribbon beer was kept – the big cooler at the back on the right. Although the store had groceries, I never saw anyone buy anything but beer, any of us New Brunswickers anyway.
            That was the Saturday night activity of many of the hoodlums I hung out with, especially when it was hot and humid like today. Go to Puddle-dock first, then to the drive-in and drink the groceries one had purchased at Puddle-dock. Maybe the next Saturday we would go see a movie or two at the Capitol Theatre, which used to be located in Andover, right at the end of the car bridge - yes, we also had a train bridge then!
            We would see a Roy Rogers movie, maybe a Doc and Kitty Williams live show, but the only thing about the Capitol Theatre was that they didn't have Pabst Blue Ribbon to tie up the evening.
                                                *****************************
            Yesterday my friend Flug stopped by for a lemonade and to help me fold the laundry (otherwise no lemonade). Before he folded his tenth towel, he started hacking and coughing and a rash broke out on his large face. “Oh, no!” he said. “I've become allergic to lemonade. This is the end of my life as I know it!”
            I thought that was a bit dramatic, but I suppose it was possible. “Have you ever had allergy tests?” I asked, and he said that he had had many and the only thing he was allergic to was caraway. He said that when he was a barber on Parliament Hill (“quite a temptation, those razors next to those throats!”) he had taken to sneezing one day and couldn’t stop and had had the same type of rash. It had never happened since.
            You know how the light bulb goes on over the cartoon character’s head? I remembered that when I had been hanging out the towels the long ones had hung down into the long grass – the legal kind I mean. “I’ll be right back,” I said thoughtfully, or at least as close to thoughtfully as this old brain will now allow.
            Checking under the clothesline I saw – sure enough! – half a dozen caraway plants. Never let it be said that I am not a great detective. As to Flug and his rash, more lemonade seemed to alleviate his symptoms.
                                                *****************************
            When I lived in the Northwest Territories, part of which swanned off to become Nunavut, I noticed that there was the odd blackfly in the spring – and summer, and fall. We’ll say that at any given moment there were two hundred of them trying to find my flesh. Here in New Brunswick there are fewer, like 26 at a time.
            True, they have a family too (Simuliidae) but I feel that it’s rather unfair to have their family try to chew up my family, namely me. Although Romeo’s and Juliet’s families (Montagues and Capulets) were always feuding, that is no reason for the Simuliidae crowd to think it’s okay to torture LaFrances.
            So, my friends, I have come to a decision. From now on it’s war against blackflies which, it has been recently discovered, are of that family I mentioned, the same as the wolverine, I think.
            It has been known for years that wolverines carry malaria germs and we have to watch out for them, but the gist of this part of the column is to warn you about moose flies. They sting, but also actually cut into your flesh and drink your blood.

            You will notice that I keep saying YOU and YOUR. I have no intention of going outside until October, when it’s time to start shoveling snow again. Speaking of shoveling, I have found out why there aren't any flower beds around the legislature; too much wind. It dries out the plants.
                                                                  -end-

No comments: