Sunday 25 May 2014

Turning 66 beats the alternative (May 21)

Travelling on Canada’s Route 66

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            As I write these lines, I am looking at my reflection in a mirror and am quite amazed. I just turned 66 and I don’t look a day over seventy. Quite an accomplishment after the places I’ve seen and the things I’ve done. There was this place on Jarvis Street in Toronto…but never mind about that for now.
            Birthdays are quite the thing, as Grampy would say. My kids always ask me what I want for my birthday and I always say: “I want you healthy and happy” after which they spit on the ground (tobacco juice stains the chesterfield) and curse because I didn’t make it easy for them.
            One day in early May when we were sitting at the kitchen table, I gently nudged a Roll-Royce catalogue in their direction, but they kept easing it back and looking at the Dollar Store’s 12th Anniversary sale sheet. I wondered how and why the Dollar Store would have a sale, since most items started out at a dollar, but, as Miss Sara Williams used to say: “Ours is not to wonder why…”
            So the kids finally decided on what to give me for my 66th birthday (that is, 65th anniversary of my birthday since we can have only one birthday) and it was with a shudder I saw that they were planning to buy me a chainsaw. “But if you get me that,” I protested, “I will have to do some work! As you know, Dr. Hensaw said that I was allergic to work in any form.”
            Look at it this way, Papa,” said my younger daughter. “Whenever Mum buys a new rolling pin, you can render it an obsolete weapon within minutes.” Smart kid. My new Echo chainsaw that I bought from my cousin Eric LaFrance in Andover works great, even if I don’t. (That’s a free ad for Echo, but not for Eric, since people now question his judgment in selling me such an item.)
                                             ****************************
            Although I write for a newspaper, I don’t listen to and watch many newscasts on radio and TV. When I do, it’s usually a mistake, like hearing about Adolph Poutine of Russia taking over Crimea and working away at eastern Ukraine.
            One exception to its being a mistake though, occurred on Wednesday afternoon. I was sitting on the front porch, sipping a lemonade, and listening to CBC Radio whose announcer was reporting that the value of our Loonie had slipped to 90.3 cents, compared to the American dollar.
            Seeing a chance to make some real money, I borrowed a thousand dollars from my friendly neighbourhood banker, a guy named Narcisse whose office is in the back room of the Scotch Colony Club and Lobster Emporium, and I went uptown. There I spent the whole thousand dollars on Loonies. When it and the American dollar are at par again, I will have made a neat profit of over ten percent, less whatever Narcisse charges for interest.
I don’t care what everyone says, I’m not stupid.
                                              *******************************
            In Ottawa, a place I recently heard described as ‘thirty square miles surrounded by reality’, they are waiting with bated (or possibly baited) breath for the announcement that Senators Mike Duffy and Pamela Wallin are to be changed with fraud, etc.
            I continue to be amazed at the so-called Senate Scandal, and not because some Senators were caught with their hands in the cookie jar. Mostly my amazement is a result of what this all has cost to investigate, compared to the sums of money allegedly ripped off from taxpayers, who, I am reminded, include me, especially at this time of the tax year.
            Here’s my estimate: If the allegations are correct and the allegator has decided not to sleep in the swamp (that was an hilarious play on words about alligators) but look into the whole thing, the four Senators under scrutiny have padded their expense claims to the tune of $300,000-$350,000.
            My estimate of how much money has now been spent to nail these alleged miscreants runs toward - and brushes hard – the sum of $2 million, and I might be, if you’ll pardon the expression, conservative in that estimate. RCMP investigators, Senate auditors, independent auditors, time wasted in Parliament talking about this stuff, planes, trains and cars flitting around looking for smoking guns – it goes on and on.

            When the story broke, why didn’t the government just say to these Senators: “Don’t do that again!” and things could have just calmed down right away. We could have gotten on with being Canadians. Doesn’t anybody realize we’re supposed to be dull?  
                                                     -end- 

No comments: