Sunday 25 May 2014

Senator Bob LaFrance. I like it. (May14)

Ask me! Ask me! I’ll be glad to go to the Senate

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            There was a rather amusing radio show on Sunday evening, quite hilarious really. The gist of it was that ‘The Senate Scandals’ have made several people turn down (or say they would turn down) a Senate appointment.
            Excuse me?
            If Stephen Harper phoned me – even if he interrupted a playoff game between the New York Yankees and Montreal Canadiens – and asked if I would PLEASE take a seat in the Senate, before he uttered the second ‘e’ in the word Senate, I would have my toothbrush and the rest of my keister packed and have the Toyota pointing north and west toward Ottawa.
            I guess it shows that not only do many Senators and others – of the non-hockey playing variety – live in a different world than we do, but it also shows that so far most Senate appointments have been reserved for rich people. Who among us could afford to turn down a basic salary of $138,700 a year plus free haircuts? They get Via Rail passes,  comfortable red chairs, and expenses for everything but toilet paper. Even without doing a Duffy-Pam I would be able to live quite comfortably and would only falsify the bare minimum of expense claims.
            “But Bob, do they have lemonade in Ottawa?” asked Flug, who had been reading over my shoulder as he sipped on one of my lemonades. “Would you like to live in a place where they have only champagne and caviar? Remember I was a barber on Parliament Hill, so I know that lemonade is not easily available.”
            “Flug,” I said, “If my income were $175,000 a year including (mostly legitimate) expenses, don’t you think I could find a way to get the odd two-four of lemonade from New Brunswick to Ottawa?”
            My mention of our province’s name brought to mind another minor hitch. “But what if my most admired and musically talented friend Stephen Harper needed a Senator from Manitoba and not New Brunswick?”
            “Remember that time you and those Victoria County vagrants drove out west looking for work?” asked Flug. “Remember? You passed through Manitoba did you not? Bingo and eureka! You are the new Senator from Manitoba. If Mike Duffy, who didn’t know where the Confederation Bridge was located, can be a Senator from PEI, you can be one from Manitoba.”
            Who could argue with that kind of logic? Well, everybody could, but still it might fly for a while, until I can buy a trailer in Gimli or Brandon. It would be a lot easier though, if Prime Minister Harper, my friend and possible benefactor whom I greatly admire, needed a (non-separatist) Senator from Quebec province. If you have recently looked in the Quebec City phone book, you would have seen nine pages of LaFrances and three pages of either ‘R. LaFrance’ or ‘Robert LaFrance’. Who’s to say I’m not one of those and therefore a resident of Quebec province?
            But will the Prime Minister (my friend, etc.) ever call me to take my place in the Red Chamber of Sober Second Thought? I can assure you, the reader, and all those fine people who work in the Prime Minster’s Office that, far from turning down the invitation, I would embrace, cherish, treasure, relish and revere it as if the invitation were coming from the Queen herself, which of course it technically would be.
            I think he will call. As my family can tell you, were you to call them, I am as optimistic a person as you are ever likely to meet. Cheerful as can be 99% of the time, I walk around with a confident smile on my face (where else?) as I look forward to the next page of good news that will come my way. “Always look at the bright side of things,” I tell people. “I know I do. That’s why I expect to check my email or answer my phone one of these days and find a communication from my pal the Prime Minister himself who is asking if I can clear my calendar for next week to take a trip to Ottawa to be sworn in. Hmmm. Sworn in at Ottawa…sworn at in New Brunswick. Which would you choose?
            I just had a thought, yes another one. What if the Prime Minister chose to offer the Senate’s next vacant red chair to someone who really deserves it, like Mike Duffy’s wife or Rob Ford’s wife?

            No, it’s okay. Prime Minister Harper’s record on giving Senate seats to those who deserve it is – shall we say? – spotty at best. I still think I’m in the running. Who would deserve it less than I? 
                                                           -end- 

No comments: