Sunday 25 May 2014

I am the proudest slob ever (May 28)

It’s official – I’m Canada’s #1 Slob

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            I may never be on ‘reality’ TV, but I think I have by now proven that I am the most slovenly creature in all of Canada. Among the criteria are: (1) dress and deportment, (2) table manners, and (3) what else is there to slovenliness – if there is such a word.
            At a recent potluck supper where everyone else was dressed to the eights or possibly even the nines, I stood out like Stephen Harper at an Amnesty International  convention.
            It doesn’t matter how many times I am told, or I tell myself, to ALWAYS wear dark coloured clothing to such an event – or anywhere outside our own basement – I went to that potluck supper dressed in a pair of very light brown trousers and a white shirt with thin stripes. Surveying the result in a full-length mirror, I thought I looked almost presentable. That is, as close to presentable as I ever get.
            Eight minutes later I spilled chocolate milk on my pants and had to change them. Talk about learning a lesson: I put on an even lighter coloured pair. They fairly hurt the eyes with their brightness, even though the wearer didn’t project the same characteristic.
            Somehow I got to the car without spilling anything more on myself, then, as I was about to climb in, I noticed that there was a small mud puddle on the ground right near the driver’s side. It was then I knew I should I gotten my wife to drive. Back inside to change my pants again, but this time I was thinking ahead; I backed the car away from the mud puddle. Another pair of light-coloured pants, and we were away.
            It somehow became my job to carry in the rhubarb crisp that my wife had made for the pot luck supper, and I didn’t spill much of the juice. Besides, it was nearly the shade of my shirt. I set the pan down on the counter and dripped more juice, this time on my shoes.
            After some conversation, during which I tried to rub off the stains and made them worse, the hosts served a red liquid, which went nicely with the raspberry stains that had somehow gotten on my shirt, although I had only walked by that dessert. Then it was time for us to pick up our platefuls of food of all colours. By the time I finished the first plateful, my clothes looked like a male peacock’s tailfeathers. There’s another word I’m trying to think of – oh yes, a kaleidoscope.
            After several return engagements to the food counter, it was time for dessert, and what a colourful mélange it was. Coincidentally, when I had finished, my shirt held pretty much the same colours. “Where did you get your Hawaiian shirt?” asked one well-meaning matron. I told her Kincardine and she wanted to know where the clothing store was in that part of the Scotch Colony.
            Finally it was time for us to leave, and if anyone wanted to know which foods I had sampled (if gorging can be called sampling) all they had to do was look at my shirt. Rhubarb crisp, lemon cake, raspberry squares and other colourful and delicious sweets were all there, and there was one black stain that I took to be dark chocolate pie, cake or possibly soufflé.
            When we got home I was called various names for being such a slob, but I tried to defend myself; it wasn’t my fault. Grampy Muff’s genes were still going strong. He couldn’t eat an apple without ruining his coveralls. I pointed out to my wife that her Uncle Earl had bought a sweater in 1935 and was still wearing it in the late 1980s, so her family’s genes were less susceptible to rampant slobbery. She ended the conversation by saying: “If you ever again wear light coloured clothes to a potluck supper – or any other kind of meal except an intravenous one – I will not EVER give you a divorce.”
            A threat like that could be incentive enough for me to be somewhat more meticulous in my eating habits, but of course my style (?) of dress is so far beyond redemption that the Hubble Telescope would belch at any attempt to see it.
I have never understood why I am such a slob at my eating and dressing habits. When I get up in the morning I make a real attempt to put on clothes that don’t embarrass me and my family, but it’s as if my Evil Twin were guiding the whole process. I never liked him.

My friend Flug put it into perspective many years ago when he asked me: “Bob, do you buy your clothes with the stains already on them?”
                                      -end-

No comments: