Sunday 15 December 2013

The 3 Vomiteers of the Senate (Dec 11/13)


I cannot make up things like this 

                                  by Robert LaFrance 

            Because I used to live in Hamilton and later Burlington, Ontario, I occasionally tune in to CHCH-TV that covers the area just to see some of my old haunts. I have to say that something I saw on last evening’s news broadcast knocked me to the ground and stomped me.

            You know how I keep asking who’s in charge of the weather? I found out. The TV reporter was interviewing a Hamilton city employee whose name and title were: “Bob Paul, Hamilton’s Acting Manager of Winter Control.

            Go ahead, look it up on Google. I swear I am not making this up.

            In other breaking news stories, the ongoing Senate scandal (The Three Vomiteers) is…well…ongoing. It reminds us that some people have no shame and no respect for others, especially for us little people. Of course there are government flacks, PR people, and downright liars (all of the above) telling us that all is well and they’re taking care of it. It has been ‘fine language’ at its worst.

            Coincidentally, shortly after I listened to The CBC National News, I picked up an Agatha Christie story called ‘The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding’. Someone was complaining about the ‘mess’ things were in even though government spokesmen tried to smooth it all over. Here’s the passage: “Mess?” said Mr. Bonnington. “That’s what’s the matter with the world nowadays – too much mess and too much fine language. The fine language helps to conceal the mess, like a highly flavoured sauce concealing the fact that the fish underneath it is none of the best.”

            Turning to sports, I have to mention the most expensive Christmas present of all time – the NHL’s deal with Rogers which will now broadcast all NHL hockey games for the next twelve years for a mere $5.2 billion.

I can’t imagine a world without Don Cherry (I joke). What does this all mean, I ask myself? Will I have to watch the Stanley Cup playoffs on my cellphone? Back to the future indeed; when the first TVs came out the screens were about that size.

Here I have to tell you the truth; I don’t watch hockey on television – or cellphone, or tablet, etc. – and haven’t since the 1970s. What I am about to tell you will probably get me kicked out of Canada, but the truth will out, as they say. I much prefer watching soccer on television to watching hockey. I do like hockey, but it’s the local live games that I prefer, especially high school games and minor hockey when the kids are out there doing their best.

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth. Recently I was reading a book about Canada in the 1890s and came across a passage about Sir Henry Pelatte, an eccentric Toronto millionaire. I probably needn’t have used the adjective ‘eccentric’ once you know what I’m going to say. This guy once had a set of false teeth made for his horse. As I said, I can’t make this stuff up.

Every year at this time there’s the Politically Correct argument that we shouldn’t say “Merry Christmas” but instead we should go around uttering “Happy Holidays!” People really get into this minor quarrel as if it were something that mattered. My friend Flug phoned me last evening and greeted me thusly: “Merry Christmas slash Happy Hanakah slash Happy Holidays slash blah blah blah!” I wasn’t sure which ethnic group the blah blah blahs were aimed at, but I got the point.

            Speaking of Christmas, last evening I attended a choir performance in a county long ago and far away and particularly enjoyed one feature of the program – Carol singing. A young choir had just finished their performance and the MC, a nice lady with blue hair, announced that they would now have Carol singing. “Come on up on stage, Carol,” she said. And Carol proceeded to sing some Celine Dion numbers, except she wasn’t so skinny.

            As we speak, it should be a storm day for the schools, but it isn’t, probably because there was one last week. Are they rationed or what? Looking out my living room window, I saw the cars of two acquaintances going by. When I was talking to both of them (the people, not the cars) at that concert last evening, they both said they would be staying home if the weather was bad today.

I think there’s something about bad weather that forces some people to go out on the roads. No doubt it’s a syndrome of some kind. Or how about plain stupidity?
                                              -end-

No comments: