Tuesday 12 November 2013

Keep your electronic stick on the ice (Oct. 30 column)


We are all in the same (electronic) boat 

                                                            by Robert LaFrance 

            Whew! I don’t think I have received as many letters about a column as I did this week. They were almost all sent through the actual mail; you know, where you put a stamp on an envelope and send it to someone at a certain address. (Mine is 129 Manse Hill Road, Kincardine, NB, E7H 3A3).

            In my column I was talking about all the automatic stuff we have to deal with every day – and every hour it seems. The car door automatically locks when I start driving, the clock falls back an hour without my telling it to, Microsoft Word corrects my spelling although I can spell.

            “My VCR keeps flashing 12:00-12:00-12:00,” wrote a young lady (64) from Johnville. “What the hell can I do? My husband Harry is about as useless as wings on an elephant and he won’t read the manual because he’s a man. Imagine!”

            I advised her to take a piece of duct tape and put over those flashing numbers and send Harry away. Jeez Louise, is that rocket science?

            George Noxman, a bachelor originally from Knoxville, Tennessee, and now living in Knoxford, NB where he rents a house from Edmund Knox, wrote about his cookstove. “I put on the timer to turn on the oven while I’m away so my roast beast will be ready when I get home from the office – I’m a civil servant – but it never works. I have done this nine times now and the roast is just sitting there cold when I get home. In fact, even the burners won’t work on this new stove, so I cook all my meals in the microwave oven.” He probably also says pizza PIE.

            I sent him back some suggestions: “Dear Mr. Noxman: I think your clue is contained in your letter. You implied – and I inferred – that you have been having this problem since buying a new stove. Might I suggest that you check to see if the stove is  plugged in. However, if it’s a gas stove, use a flashlight rather than a lit match to look behind it.”

            I received a return email that same afternoon. Mr. Noxman, not mechanically inclined, had asked his neighbour, a widow named Adelah Knokwurst, to look at the stove. It turned out to be a dishwasher. She was so delighted with this helpless male that she proposed to him immediately. “I wasn’t sure what she was proposing at first, and got my face slapped,” he said, “but the date is set for January 7th.”

            A former police officer also emailed with a confidential question: “They give me this here gun, but whenever I shoot at a suspect – somebody robbing a bank or cheating on his income tax for example – he or she just stares at me and runs away. I got a little tired of that, and so did the bank managers, so the next time I answered a call I used my taser. For some reason it made a hole right in the middle of his chest. What’s going on?”

            As gently as I could, I suggested that this officer should perhaps find another line of work, once he returned from unpaid vacation in Renous. It was clear to me that he had gotten his taser gun and his Uzi machine pistol mixed up, which was a lucky thing for the previous bank robbers, but rather unfortunate for the guy with the hole(s) in his chest. However, if you rob banks, you have to expect a bad day now and then.

            A final note on that letter: Since X-rays, radar, etc. may make people temporarily sterile, I might suggest that anybody who has been stopped by this guy for speeding along the highway – or perhaps those first bank robbers I mentioned – shouldn’t despair at their not fathering children for a while. I suspect that what he thought was a taser was actually a radar gun.

            This final comment for the day did not come to me in a letter, but on the television news. As you know, I try and dream up things that are ridiculous, but in this case real life was away beyond anything I could dream up.

            In the country called Azerbiajan, a former enclave of the Soviet Union, elections are held once in a while. There are electronic voting machines and all is automatic as you would expect of a modern country like Azerbiajan, whose farmers are just finding out about milking machines.

            They had an election on October 9, but three days before the election, the results were accidentally published online. The government said they were just testing their equipment and these were really the results of the 2008 election. This was a dubious claim, because the names of the candidates were those in the 2013 election about to take place.

You just can’t make up this stuff.
                                     -end-

No comments: