Tuesday 12 November 2013

Bob actually read a manual (Oct. 23 column)


I find bare things shocking - especially wires 

                                                            by Robert LaFrance 

            This morning I received a real shock shortly after I got up. I must fix that bare wire on the toaster.

But I don’t want to talk about toasters, or procrastination; I want to talk about my blasted alarm clock and how things are all so automatic nowadays that no one can fix anything. I know, I rant about this kind of stuff all the time, but this time it’s personal.

            It was Sunday morning, October 13, almost dawn when I woke up, but the clock radio alongside my bed was reading 5:45. “How could this be?” I asked myself, since there was no one else awake to ask. I looked at the clock radio on the other side of the bed and it read 6:45.

            I have mentioned before in this column that I have a drug and liquor problem, but it couldn’t have been that, because I don’t use either one. (My problem is that I probably should start.) A quick scan of my face in the bathroom mirror didn’t show any more weirdness than ever, so I was forced to sit down and think.

            Finally, like the waters of the Mackenzie River arriving at the Beaufort Sea, it came to me once I had spent a considerable amount of time thinking of every possible reason that my clock, on time when I went to bed Saturday evening, should flip back an hour.

            Of course! It was doing the automatic fall change from Daylight Saving to Standard Time, but the only trouble was that the clock wasn’t listening when the powers that be moved that time change forward a few weeks from mid- or late October to November 3rd.

            So it was just a matter of changing the clock ahead an hour, right? Very simple, right?

            Wrong. Guys, I am sorry but I let you down on this one, but after fifteen minutes I started reading the manual. Although it seemed to be in Swahili, I got through it and tried it suggested to set the clock. Of course nothing worked. It remained an hour slow. Finally I decided on a foolproof solution: leave it alone and accept things as they were until November 3rd.

            When I did finally get up, just before 8:00 am, I went downstairs to check if my VCR had recorded ‘Murdoch Mysteries’ but of course it had not. It too had switched back to Standard Time. Therefore, I had recorded a program about aardvark mutations in Ernfold, Saskatchewan. Exciting, but I would never know if Det. William Murdoch had captured the miscreants.

            In the kitchen, the microwave’s clock numbers were blinking. I decided to have breakfast uptown with some relatives. As I started my borrowed Toyota, I heard a sharp ‘click’ and soon realized the car had automatically locked all the doors. I would have said that I was perfectly capable of locking my own car doors, but apparently Toyota doesn’t agree.

            Everywhere I went and whatever I did, some electronic instrument was telling me what I could and couldn’t do, and when to do it – or not. Security cameras followed me in every store, I couldn’t take the car out of ‘park’ unless I put my foot on the brake, and I found everything I touched had dead batteries.

Let’s accept it: we humans no longer have any say in anything. While this is a common feeling for husbands, now even wives are feeling the pinch, as it were.

                                                                        *****************************

            A friend from Ernfold, Saskatchewan stopped by for the visit on Tuesday. He and his brother were on their way to Charlottetown for a horse breeders’ conference. They co-own a ranch where they raise quarter horses. (I never could understand the term ‘quarter-horse’. What happens to the other 75%?)

            Anyway, Boyd and his brother Bill stopped by for a short visit and Boyd had one of his stories all ready for me. When we had shared a house in Hamilton, Ontario back in the early 1970s, he had always been ready with a good story.

            This story dated from the late 1960s when he was working on a Panamanian freighter, sailing between The Netherlands and Brazil. New on the job and only 19 years old, he had studied his book on nautical terms and the jargon sailors used. One night he was doing a shift on the bridge, watching for other ships, etc. in the area. Four bells (2 hours) into his shift, he saw some lights off to the right and informed the captain.

            “Well, where is it?” growled the captain, a Luxembourgian who was in a foul mood. You know what they’re like.

            “Three points abaft the starboard beam!” shouted Boyd.

            “What?”

            “Three points abaft---“

            “I heard what you said, you moron. What does it mean?”

            “Over there to the right…see?” Thus ended Boyd’s career as a master of nautical terms. He threw his book overboard and talked Saskatchewan trash talk from then until he jumped ship at Halifax three months later.
                                                             -end-

No comments: