Tuesday 3 July 2012

Summer is way too busy for old people like me

Summer notes for the very un-busy       

                                                            by Robert LaFrance


            I know that everyone is totally bored, nothing to do, just sitting around, so this column will just be some short blurbs designed to relax you even more and let you doze off in your easy chair.

            Wrong. Even as I wrote those words, I got email letters from 47 people who all said pretty much the same thing: “You’re an idiot, Bob! Why did you write that?” I had just finished typing the previous paragraph and hadn’t even sent it to the paper, so that’s weird. Can someone be watching me? It’s not that I’m paranoid, it’s just that everyone thinks I am. They’re out to get me if I even relax for a second.

            Indeed, summer is a busy time. The front and back lawns are growing much more quickly than they do in January. It seems as if the minute I get up, there’s a list of things to do, usually duct-taped to the kitchen cupboard near the fridge. “Pile that millwood you just got…put the other wood in the shed and pile it…the red mower’s not working, fix it or pack a suitcase (it’s nice in Flin Flon in July)…paint the porch floor…take the dog for a LONG walk, like to Minto…finish your 12 newspaper stories and then wash the dishes…” and like that.

            Here are some summer notes anyway, and then I’m off to Minto:

            It is the source of some consternation that for many years (not quite so bad now) the word ‘impact’ has been used as a general verb. I realize that it can be used thusly, as in ‘an impacted wisdom tooth’, but that’s really about the extent of it. On the other hand, I have often used the word ‘stomach’ as a verb and didn’t get sent to grammar prison. I can’t stomach people who are intolerant about others’ use of words. It impacts my annoyance threshold.

            Someone said a few years ago that the CD or DvD tray in his computer made a great place to set his coffee while he checked his emails in the mornings. The way my computer has been acting, I can think of many other uses for it. How about as filler in a compost pile? In an experiment to see how many elephants can balance on one hard drive? The 21” monitor in a horizontal position would work nicely as a food tray. The speakers could be used to throw at stray cats. Tear out the insides of a CPU (we nerds know that’s really a computer) and you have a nice cupboard for holding short bottles of lemonade.

            Speaking of computers, I, and a certain Gleaner editor who used to be the Star editor but I’m not naming names, are still of the opinion that those who own computers and use them, but don’t understand a thing about them should be sent to computer prison. Their sentence should continue until they understand the computer’s filing system, how to attach a file to an email, etc. There are names that some computer repair persons have for the difficulties caused by such people. One is PEBCAK and it means “Problem exists between chair and keyboard.” Or ‘HKI’: “Human-keyboard interface.”

            I didn’t mean what I said a few paragraphs back about cats. There are cat lovers all around who would rip my face right off if they read that. I remember the time that I said a mean word or two about cats (nasty creatures that they are) and the late Myrna Tomlinson gave me 24 hours to get out of town. I apologized and mowed her lawn for a month. Her car’s licence plate number was CATSRGRT; that will give you a clue.

            Like malfunctioning computers (a pox on Windows Vista), the use of redundant speech continues to annoy. Why can’t people talk rite? I ain’t in favour of being redundant. Probably the most common one is the use of the phrase ‘first started’. “Yeah, I first started reading Ayn Rand books back about 1990.” I am always tempted to ask, in a case like that: “So how many times did you start?” And then I remind myself that I started ‘War and Peace’ about 12 times and still never finished it. I believe it involves Russia.

After all that, I have recently come across a usage of ‘first started’ that is correct. A soccer announcer was saying that a certain player ‘first started’ for England in 2011. That refers to the first game in which he was in the starting lineup. Exciting, huh?

            I don’t know how a door can be a jar, but if a Cat can be a bulldozer why not? 

                                                    -end-       

No comments: