Tuesday 10 July 2012

How Bob tends to kid himself

I might win $121 million in a yard sale lottery...or not         



                                                            by Robert LaFrance


            On Saturday morning I gathered up whatever coins I could find and whatever little paper money my wife missed in the laundry and headed for yard sales in Perth-Andover, Plaster Rock, Grand Falls and points in between. It was my annual Search For A Picasso or Van Gogh.

            We’ve heard about people who found an Emily Carr painting in a yard sale in Flin Flon, Manitoba (haven’t we?) and things like that, so I had been asking myself: why not me? A Van Gogh painting sold in 2007 for the sum of $121 million, and would that be a lottery win or what?

            So I packed a nice lunch, for what would be the point in packing a lunch that wasn’t nice, and I headed out on my yard sale odyssey. The first place I stopped was a little place in Upper Kintore, and then I noticed it wasn’t a yard sale at all, but a garage sale. Although we already have a garage,  I rewrote my itinerary to include garage sales, lawn sales, porch sales, barn and driveway sales.

            At the Lower Kintore sale they weren’t really selling their garage (how was I to know?) but I did pick up a dandy set of swag lamps for a mere $5 each. They would go nicely in our living room; at least that was my idea at the time, but evidently I have since changed my mind. At the same sale I found a table made by a famous furniture maker. Scratched on the underside was ‘Duncan Fife’ so it was worth thousands. When I got home Flug pointed out that the real guy’s name was spelled ‘Phyffe’.

            On to Upper Kintore, where I found a barbecue at a porch sale. “It was used only six times by an elderly schoolteacher,” the homeowner (and I assume porch owner) told me in confidence. He was asking fifty dollars, but I wasn’t born yesterday. It wasn’t long before I had him happy to accept $45. Once I had removed the charcoal briquettes, it was much lighter. I also purchased what he said was an antique VHS tape containing the movie “Roy Rogers and the Line Shack Gang”. Only nine  dollars for that.

            Back to Perth-Andover, I was amazed at the number of yard sales, until I remembered that after the flood many people saw everything but their yards ruined by the St. John River. One item I bought was a dartboard with a picture on it of Beechwood Dam and the caption: “I had nothing to do with it!” Underneath the dartboard was the sentence, added later: “Now tell me the one about Goldilocks and the Three Bears!”

            Perth-Andover proved to be a gold mine, because it was the day of the Village Market. There was a great selection and a lot of food. This included Kathleen Farquhar’s table where she was selling pies, muffins, cookies, and all sorts of other stuff that keeps us all happy and heart surgeons in business. I bought a ‘raison’ pie and teased Kathleen about her spelling ability. It was an absolutely delicious pie, no matter how it was spelled. I was especially impressed by the label, which contained "π", the mathematical symbol for ‘pi’ or 3.1416. I find that cooks think a lot.

            In a Perth-Andover yard sale I found a painting that I was sure was one done by the famous ‘Saturday Evening Post’  illustrator Norman Rockwell. It turned out to be the work of house painter Norman Roswell of River de Chute. I should have known that Norman Rockwell wouldn’t have painted two Goths skating in front of the Perth Elks Club. Also, the velvet was a giveaway.

            (I should mention that my 2012 odyssey should in no way be compared to the Odyssey written by Homer, the Greek  8th century BC poet. I don’t even know what part of BC he lived in. His hero was Odysseus, but later the Romans wrote the same stuff and called their guy Ulysses.)

            On to Plaster Rock, Bluebell, Drummond, Grand Falls, Portage, and Aroostook. In each of those places I found more treasure and I refuse to tell you where, because you’ll be there next week at Jensens’ yard sale or LaForests’ lawn sale and find just the sort of thing I did – two paintings that have to worth upwards of $75,000 each. True, that’s not $121 million, but it will keep the wolf from the door.

            NOTE: Pay no attention to my wife, who voiced the opinion that they didn’t have Paint-By-Numbers in the time of Manet, or even Monet. She’s the same person who, back in 1985, paid $300 for a rocking chair that I had seen the day before in Bon Accord  dump – excuse me, landfill.  
                                         -end-

No comments: