Tuesday 18 June 2019

Big salaried civil servants? (June 12)



Keeping my eye on what I am doing

                                by Robert LaFrance

          I mowed lawns like a son-of-a-gun on Saturday, June 8th, and then I headed for my orchard to mow the grass there. “Shouldn’t take long,” I said. “It’s only three acres, otherwise known as 1.25 hectares. Piece of cake, then I will start writing my June 12 column for the Blackfly Gazette. People have to be informed.”
          Gee, I wish I had said these words instead: “Go inside and write that column because if you don’t you will surely get struck in the eye by the branch of a low-slung apple tree.”
          Three hours later I was sitting in the Emergency Room of Hotel Dieu Hospital in Perth-Andover and wishing again that I hadn’t gotten struck in the corner of my eye (as if there were such a thing as the corner of a sphere).
          The genial MD got it all wrong though. One third of my visible eye was red with blood and he went and called it “subconjunctival hemorrhage” instead of “blood in your eye, soldier”.
          In all seriousness (for a change) I really appreciate the treatment and examination by the RN and the MD on duty. That calmed me down right away and sometimes it takes a while to get me to relax. It’s not fun to look in a mirror and see all that blood in one’s eye.
                                           ****************
          To segue away from my appearing in town with blood in my eye, a recent headline in my daily paper caught my eye (both eyes really, including the eye later to gain fame by being whacked by an apple tree branch) and it went like this: “All but one of the province’s 20 cannabis stores lost money last year”.
          I grew up in the 1960s, and when I saw last week’s headline I cast my mind back to those times when cannabis was around but not quite legal. I knew several folks whose normal business models included the sale of that weed. Here’s a daring statement: Not one of those folks lost money unless it was because they had to undergo losses on their motorcycle repairs. Their profit margins were healthy on the sale of cannabis.
          If we examined why this occurred I think we could soon figure out that the fact that cannabis was illegal back then was the big deal. Today people like my Aunt Bellicose can walk into the Cannabis NB store and walk out without being nabbed by les gendarmes. Therefore contrary people like Aunty don’t use cannabis any more because the thrill has gone out of it. Before last October and legalized cannabis, it wasn’t unusual on a Saturday night in town to see Aunty meet Lefty over behind one of the apartment buildings where they exchanged cash and cannabis.
                                           ******************
          Every time I look at a water bottle or a heat pump I get to thinking (if this can really be called thinking) about things that didn’t even exist 25 or 30 years ago.
          While I was waiting for a few minutes (see above) in the hospital’s ER, I glanced around with my good eye as well as my bad one, to see at least ten of those hand disinfectant devices on the walls. I doubt if there were many of those hanging around even fifteen years ago.
          I mentioned heat pumps; now it seems that 90% of the households have heat pumps that have replaced, in many cases, wood burning stoves. We have two heat pumps and my back has thanked me ever since we bought them. Previous to this innovation, I had to throw furnace wood into the basement via a window slightly larger than a breadbox. Then I had the fun of piling (or ‘stacking’ as they say on TV) up that wood in a basement where I couldn’t stand upright. That was not fun.
          Car seat warmers, now vital for our nether regions when the temperature dips below reasonable, as well as backup cameras, are now vital. I am of that certain age when cars – at least the ones I could afford – had very little in the line of bells and whistles. At the age of 71, I can still remember the days when cars didn’t come with signal lights. Rain or shine, the driver had to stick his or her left arm out the window to signal a turn. That meant that there were four possibilities for error: the driver signaled left but turned right, or the driver behind thought he was turning left but he was turning right. I am not much of a cook, but that was a recipe for disaster.
          A final note on this modern stuff: Some civil servant in the New Brunswick government looked at all the figures, checked this and that in early 2018, and estimated that New Brunswickers would buy one thousand electric cars in the next year. Here’s another headline in my daily paper last week: “Only 200 electric cars sold in NB last year – government expected 1000”.
          So I checked Google to see how much an electric car costs. A certain model of KIA listed for $45,000 plus tax. It gave me pause to ask one question: Exactly how much do civil servants make anyway, if they think a thousand people would pay that much for a KIA electric car?
                                         -end-

No comments: