Wednesday 7 December 2016

Rules of life #297 (Dec. 7)


DIARY

A husband should never go Christmas shopping with his wife

                        by Robert LaFrance

            On Sunday, Nov. 27, I went Christmas shopping with my wife. On a scale of one to ten, where ten was the worst mistake since the Crusades, this was an eleven, perhaps a 12.
            Let’s go back to the beginning: she wanted to buy a certain item – ONE certain item of clothing she saw on a sales sheet – at Mark’s Work Wearhouse and said she would only be about half an hour. We had other stops in Grand Falls so I went elsewhere to do them. I said I’d be back in 45 minutes. (I know her quite well.)
            When I returned she was, as my brother Lawrence would say, still turning things over and was no closer to buying that one item than if I had dropped her off at the  Timbuktu, Mali, Elks Club.
            So I decided to have a cold bottle of lemonade, non-alcoholic since I was driving, at Kat ‘n’ Dan’s, a nearby restaurant. When I arrived there after a tiring walk of nearly half a minute, I saw two tables around which were seated nine or ten men. I looked closely and I knew most of them. Can you guess who they were?
            Husbands.
            They were in various stages of mental disturbance and I knew why. Their wives were all shopping, and by the way, that verb – ‘to shop’ – is not part of the male vocabulary. We walk in a store, buy what we want, and go home.
            Feinster had glassy eyes because, as he said later, he had been there the longest, something like three hours. His wife Molly was shopping for socks for their nephew. “He must have 26 feet,” said Feinster, “because the last time I looked, her shopping cart was FULL. I’ll have to work overtime until 2018.”
            Blentan, who is from Tilley, kept drumming his fingers on the table and muttering “damn Santa” which was right on the verge of sacrilegious; his eyes were also glazed over and not from the ginger ale he was drinking. “Why didn’t I stay home?” he asked no one in particular. “She said it would take no more than an hour, guaranteed! I came in here just after Feinster. I just checked and she hadn’t bought anything yet.”
            And so it went, all around the table. The pitiful stories of shell-shocked men, tortured beyond endurance by their wives’ shopping. There was a theme that kept going around among them: “If they want to buy something, why don’t they just go, pick it up, pay for it, and go home?”
            Here’s the answer to that question: BECAUSE. Another answer might be that wives (not necessarily women in general) are wired differently from men. ‘Shopping’ is like the Holy Grail. No, it IS the Holy Grail. Husbands are merely the taxi drivers to hell.
            After a while though, there was a happy ending of sorts. Feinster’s wife came in first and took him by the arm as he, slack-jawed and muttering something about Donald Trump, went out to their car, a 1989 Gremlin. At a guess I would have said the total cost of all Molly’s purchases would have allowed them to upgrade to at least a 1997 Lumina, but that’s just me.
            Blentan was next, followed by Ed Sprant, George Williamski, Pierre Dumas and others I didn’t know. For a while I was happy for them, until I realized that I was sitting there alone. And sitting.
            Just about an hour before most of the mall stores closed, my wife appeared and it was clear she had decided to discard me for a younger model. An athletic looking chap, perhaps a soccer player since he seemed fit, was carrying what looked like 226 pounds (in the metric system it would be whatever equals 226 pounds) of purchases, and he even had some on a little trailer of sorts.
            “Well,” she said, “are you ready? I’ve been waiting by the car for almost five minutes. This is Julian, who kindly offered to carry my packages since my husband was in here swilling lemonade.”
            She drove home. I was in no shape to be behind the wheel where other humans, possibly husbands, were on the road. I had had no lemonade, only a bowl of Shreddies  with peanuts, but I had been reduced to a babbling lump of incoherence. (Don’t say it.) As we passed Portage Road, she said: “We should come up here next weekend; there’s a big sale at Wal-Mart.”
               It was then I stood up like a man and put my foot down. “Do we have to?” I whined.
                                        -end-

No comments: