Wednesday 7 December 2016

Introducing 'The Trump Scramble' (Nov. 30)


DIARY

I have a bit of a twinge myself

                        by Robert LaFrance

            I watch quite a few television shows on the B.C. Knowledge Network and I tell ya, them fellers is quite smart.
            Last evening I sat down with a lemonade and got all ready to watch a show called ‘South Pacific’, but to my surprise and consternation it wasn’t the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical we all love, but a show about the 20,000 islands in the south Pacific.
            (Funny how islands tend to be in even numbers like that, like the Thousand Islands of Ontario. Or the salad dressing.)
            Back to the point, I watched about three minutes of the show up until the narrator said about a certain area of that ocean: “The water is clean, clear and pristine…”
            I tell you my friends, that just won’t do. How is it that we humans haven’t polluted that yet? What’s wrong with us? Surely there must be a nickel plant, an oil rig or some raw sewerage we could haul there.
            Flug, just out of hospital and looking over my shoulder as I typed, said: “A little cynical today, are we?”
                                    *********************
            Yes, as a registered journalist, I am cynical. I have been in the newspaper (and radio) game since 1978 and before that I thought all the people in responsible positions had gotten there because of their smarts and their caring for the public, or at least their ‘image’.
            Today the elected officials I know are indeed there because of their efforts and their intelligence, but it wasn’t always so. I remember one MLA (not from this riding) whose speech I covered in Perth-Andover and who handed out – on paper I emphasize – some of the remarks he was going to make ‘off the cuff’ or ‘ad lib’.
            It was a 12-page speech, double-spaced, and (I am not kidding) the last paragraph of the speech that had been given to reporters was this:
            “Those were some of the points I wanted to raise and I’m sorry my talk took longer than expected so that I can’t stay for questions.” That sentence was written into the text of the speech that he had read word for word. He put his papers in his brief case and, followed by his assistant (who had written the speech), left for his own riding.
                                    *************************
            A new dance craze has taken over Canada and the U.S., particularly the U.S., since Donald Trump got elected on November 8th. I call it ‘The Trump Scamble’.
            It’s amazing how many people now think – or would like us to think – that they had predicted the Trump victory. That’s rather odd really, since as late as the afternoon of November 8th I didn’t hear anyone except Donald Trump himself make that prediction.
            Indeed, the people on his own election team were implying that he had made a good run for the presidency and they hoped the new administration would take up some of the issues that had made him so wildly popular, like jobs. Trump had taken lying to a whole new level, with a statement one day and a completely opposite one the next day, perhaps in the same city.
            I watched the CBC-TV’s The National last Thursday and Rex Murphy was doing his very best to imply that the reason Trump was elected was that he had said things many people wanted to hear. Shocking.
            Other commentators, especially those in the U.S. on shows like ‘Meet the Press’ (although they’ve never met me) were scrambling to explain why Trump won; it was because he received more votes, right? Wrong. Hillary Clinton received over a million and a half more votes than Trump.
            Of course I predicted the outcome of the election. I predicted it on Nov. 9th.
                                    **************************
            Flug has been in the hospital this week for what he refers to as brain surgery. In fact he was having a hernia operation.
            When he told me last week that he was going to get this surgery – he had been waiting in line since 1989 – I was astounded. Flug was not a person that one would expect to see lifting a grand piano and I wondered how he had injured himself.
            “Cards,” he explained as he lay there in his hospital bed, a pitiful sight among the flowers his friends had brought in. The flower I had brought in was a small bottle of Captain Morgan’s dark rum.
             “Cards, I tell you. I go to the grocery store and I need two cards, the pharmacy two cards, and every other store in Canada needs a membership card, a special debit card, and card for this and a card for that. I had to build a trailer for my Toyota Yaris so I could take them to town. I ended up having to carry a big bundle of plastic cards all over the place until finally…POP!”
            Although Flug does tend to exaggerate, I believed him. I have a bit of a twinge myself.
                                                    -end-

No comments: