Thursday 17 September 2015

Tory candidates executed (Sept. 16)

DIARY

Billy is a member of the Atheist Church

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            Flug and I were walking to (and past) the church this bright and shiny Sunday  morning when I saw a fellow on his knees in the graveyard. It was Billy the Barber.
            “I wonder why he’s genuflecting,” I said to Flug, who looked blankly at me.
            “Fetched up on his knees,” I said. It turned out that Billy, on his way to fish in  Bubie Brook, had tripped over a gravestone – his own, as it happens – and fell onto his knees. I wondered about that…Billy has been a member of the Atheist Church since 1954.
            The use of the word ‘genuflect’ got me to thinking though. I wondered about its origins so of course when I got back home I had to look it up on Wikipedia. “Genuflect – verb…to find yourself on one knee after tripping over a gravestone on your way to brook fishing.”
            To quote Joe Clark, I really didn’t expect that much specificity.
                        *************************
            Speaking of walking down the road, I find that my pessimism is ruining, or at least damaging, what should be my enjoyment of the fabulous weather we’ve been having for the past few weeks.
            I realize we’re supposed to have some snow this winter – Flug told me that – but he said that I should appreciate the sunny, hot and muggy weather of early September. We were talking about it yesterday and he very gently told me that I should enjoy the fine weather while we have it.
            “You’re an idiot, Bob,” he said – as I said, gently – “and if someone gave you a million dollars you would think it should be ten million.” As someone who has been married fourteen times, Flug knows about happiness and how life should be lived – divorced.
            It was no good though. His advice went unfollowed. I went fishing and fell in. Someone tell me why I should be an optimist.
                        ***************************
            Could I possibly write a column and not mention the federal election and politics in general?
            I’m getting so I feel sorry for Stephen Harper – almost. Going forward from the Mike Duffy trial, he has now found that two of Toronto area Tory candidates had to be executed, one of them for peeing in a coffee cup in a restaurant kitchen.
            I never did hear whether that particular cup of java had actually been served, but the idea was enough for me. I believe that happened in Scarborough, and I used to live in Scarborough. It pains me to learn that someone could have drunk Brand X coffee at Larry’s Restaurant on Lawrence Avenue, and then went home to Mrs. Littlewood’s boarding house where I stayed.
            This cup-peeing gentleman and the other former Tory candidate were both caught out by electronics. The first guy was caught by a hidden camera and the other was doing his thing – whatever that was – on YouTube. Lesson learned? Don’t do stuff like that when there’s the slightest possibility of being caught on ‘film’.
            Half a century ago, when I was a teenager, it was quite rare to have one’s photo taken, unless the family was – shall we say – rich. Therefore the majority of the ‘historical’ photos of families are only of people who had enough money to buy ten or twenty dollars worth of film every month. Now we just need fifty dollars to buy a digital camera and a computer to plug it into and we’re good to go (as they say). I haven’t run out of film for years.
                        ************************
            A few of the recent events here in Kincardine need to be commented on. When I was in school I thought this place, and the Scotch Colony generally, was probably quite dull except for the magnetic hill near the Upper Kintore Burns Hall (burned long ago), but really, the people here are wild.
            Just yesterday I was at Gibson’s Funeral Parlour, Takeout and Hardware store and talking to the secretary Maud who was telling me about all the happenings that had taken place in the previous week. Wow. However, her credibility went severely into question when she commented to me that I was looking like an athlete these days. I was flattered until Flug told me that she had meant one of those racing dogs, and the wrong end at that.
                        *************************

            I remember a few decades ago that Canada was considered one of the most caring nations on earth, but in the past decade I have begun to wonder. It took the drowning of a 3-year-old boy whose body washed up on a Turkish beach to make a lot of people realize that we are no longer that caring country. Germany will take 800,000 Syrian refugees in the next year; we have taken 2300 in the past three years.
                                                 -end- 

No comments: