Thursday 17 September 2015

Do I love flagpersons holding up traffic? (Sept. 2)

DIARY

Shall I return it parcel post?

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            Okay, let me get this straight…a 7-foot python got loose in south Fredericton, but the authorities said that it was no danger to humans.
            Hmmm…
            I decided to do some research – don’t be shocked! - just in case this huge snake was a fast slitherer and was heading north. My dog, a Great Dane named Fluffy, would also be interested, and maybe even Bert, my Himalayan pony.
            The missing snake was a Colombian red-tailed boa constrictor but, according to its owner, a Mr. Gallant (not the premier): “it lacks the size, strength and temperament to be a threat to people”.
            I’ll tell you what: one day in Hamilton, Ontario, I stopped at a pub to have a cool beer (they were out of lemonade) and a brawl started after about five minutes. A big guy hit a sweet little old lady with a chair and she just looked up at him and smashed a beer bottle across his nose. She also “lacked the size, strength and temperament to be a threat to people”.
In other words, if a 7-foot boa constrictor comes around my mailbox, he’ll get a parcel he’s not looking for.
                        **************************
            A lot of people who come to road construction sites and are held up there by flagmen who are mostly women now don’t appreciate it much, even though it means they’re going to soon be driving on new roads.
I enjoy it. There’s such a camaraderie among the held-up drivers. As I am waiting, I see the other drivers happily gesticulating to various people that they should set up a barbecue. Others wave happily in the general direction of the construction, especially those people who are clearly late for appointments and suchlike. Often they wave with only one finger. Some people read or listen to their radio. Super high-tech drivers check their e-mail and play Zoomata.
Finally the line starts to move, but only one space because one of the vehicles close to the front is being hauled away for parking in a restricted zone. The driver is trying to explain that he’s been waiting in line for half an hour and not parked. The officer reads from his notebook the definition of parking: “The vehicle in question stays in the same place for more than 30 minutes.” Several other tow trucks are lining up to haul away the other cars, but just then the line starts to move. The tow truck drivers curse. Meanwhile the one driver whose car they did get protests too much and is Tasered by the officer.
On the other side of the river I see a terrific line of vehicles, and as I zoom away I say to myself once again that when I grow up I want to be a flagman. What a responsible job, and what a chance to annoy people! Looking at my watch, I see that I had been stopped for 37 minutes. It was quite a party!
            *************************
            Following are a few other points that must come up in some people’s lives:
            What if you were a terrorist and were applying for a job, let’s say at Sobey’s or Wal-Mart? You fill out the application form, and of course as a religious zealot you must tell the truth. When it comes to the line that wants you to list your previous jobs, what do you say? It seems to me that these (or most other) companies would frown if you wrote in “terrorist”. What do you say? Perhaps your last job was blowing up a jet in the desert. Could you say ‘aircraft refurbishment technician’?
            As a computer owner (or does it own me?) of 21 years standing I can truthfully say that NOT ONCE in all those years has one of those online Help files been of any help whatsoever. The people who write those things are either so stupid that it’s a miracle they can put on their shoes, or so intelligent that they’re in another world entirely.

            Speaking of online, last week I bought a flute from eBay and was amazed that it arrived the next afternoon, and delivered by a drone. That drone was named Steve. I was further amazed to find that ‘shipping and handling’ made up 70% of the cost. I asked Steve if, next time, he could dispense with the ‘handling’ and just ship it to me. He said that ‘shipping and handling’ was like ‘odds and ends’ and couldn’t be separated.
                                                  -end-

No comments: