Wednesday 25 February 2015

Storm of the Century - not (Feb. 4)

This looks like a job for…whom?

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            My daily newspaper’s top front page headline read: “Provincial judges want more pay”.
            Well, I thought to myself (which is my favourite way of thinking), that makes sense, the price of gas is going up – I read that in the paper too – and the property taxes in New Brunswick are almost ten percent of what they are in Ontario.
            New Brunswick Provincial Court judges make $205,000 a year. My first reaction was: Most lawyers make more than that, but I am sure that many of them would make the sacrifice to become a judge, and the present judges who don’t think $205,000 a year is enough could retire to the Turks and Caicos Islands where the cost of living for most citizens is somewhat lower than that in NB.
            The Provincial Court judges had their salaries frozen about five years ago, and now, when the word ‘bankruptcy’ is being used to describe New Brunswick’s financial situation if things don’t improve, the judges chose to make their request – clever timing.
They want a salary of $250,000 a year and they want all that back pay they missed because of the wage freeze. You’ll have to make your own comments about this; I know many government bureaucrats make more than $205,000 a year for doing less, but all I ask of the judges is this: please don’t compare your salaries with judges in Ontario, Alberta, and BC, where the cost of living is slightly higher, like astronomical.
                                                *****************************
            As I write this, we are just digging out from under the third Storm of the Century in the past six years.
            I am not sure that it’s possible to have more than one Storm of the Century in the same century, but CNN, the humongous news organization in the U.S., now seems to routinely call every blizzard the Storm of the Century.
            Therefore, when I was watching some news coverage of the January 27 storm as it struck the northeastern U.S., I was once more surprised that the Storm of the Century had, unlike lightning, struck twice – no, three times – in the same place.
            There was a little humour in the coverage though. New York City, where the mayor had wisely shut down everything, including subways for some reason, received less than six inches (we would say 15 cm) of snow. One of the reporters was filmed on a street as he described the ‘massive storm’ and behind him an old lady with a broom was sweeping about an inch of snow off the sidewalk in front of her closed business.
            Boston did get whacked though, and the mayor is a hero, unlike the New York mayor who was criticized for overreacting. Just think if there really had been a ‘massive storm’ there, how he would have been criticized, but at least lynching is illegal now.
                                                *********************************
            It’s amazing how unimportant many important things get when you’re sick. During the above period of time – The Third Storm of the Century – I was struck down by what my late father-in-law Lloyd Morton would have referred to as ‘a dog-ail’ and I would describe as a brutal cold. I couldn’t stop coughing and therefore couldn’t sleep and therefore felt terrible and therefore coughed even more, etc.
            When I am feeling well, I try and keep this office (in my home) fairly neat, but when I have a cold, things pile up. I now have old newspapers and other detritus lying on top of my computer, on the floor, and all over the place, while I try and make my way around in here where it’s not too roomy at the best of times.
            One’s ability to think is also compromised. To try and avoid waking the household with my coughing after I awoke at 4:00 am, I went down to the living room and my easy chair where I covered my legs with a blanket because it was a little chilly. I turned up the room heat and turned on a 1000-watt heater, then put on a toque until the place warmed up. It did warm up about ten minutes later, and I thought (to myself) that I could survive with one or the other, since the furnace was providing enough heat now.
            So which one did I choose? Instead of turning off the 1000-watt heater, or even  turning it back to 500-watts, I took off the toque. Brilliant. That’s why I’m not president of Bell Canada.

            A final point before I go back to bed: As I look out my frosty window, it has now been snowing almost non-stop for two days. I thought about phoning the premier, or perhaps Senator Mike Duffy, to see if I might get a favourable change in the weather, but I discarded that idea almost immediately. This looks like a job for…who? Please suggest someone.
                                                 -end- 

No comments: