Wednesday 25 February 2015

Do they even see the show? (Feb. 25)

It will pay for itself in five minutes, or not

                                                  by Robert LaFrance

          Today I want to share an important question with my faithful and longsuffering readers: what is the polite way – or is there a polite way? – of kicking the upside-down ice castles (UDIC) off someone else’s car?
          While many reading this will think it’s kind of a frivolous question, there is an important point involved here – etiquette. Although, as the late Will Rogers used to say, “I am just mangy with etiquette” I have never heard from the experts what should be done when you get out of your vehicle and see on the vehicle next to you, just behind the front wheels, huge almost triangular chunks of ice that once were slush.
          It is a rather satisfying feeling to kick those UDICs (choose your own word) off a vehicle. For me, it’s a feeling that I’ve accomplished something that day, but the question is, should we kick them off other people’s vehicles without their permission?
          Don’t tell me you haven’t thought of it.
          I suppose one reason I don’t kick those things – there must be an official name! – off someone else’s vehicle is that there’s a good chance that someone will be watching – and filming.
          Everybody in the world seems to have a video camera these days and they’re not afraid to use them. Ever since the days when six or eight white Los Angeles police officers were filmed beating and stomping Rodney King, everybody decided to get their own camera. And of course there are cameras in many stores and all over the place in the cities.
          You see, the chances of my kicking one of those ice castles off a vehicle and not being filmed by some local Steven Spielberg are low; even so, it’s a temptation.
          I often wonder if all these people taking videos are even doing it legally. Every street corner and variety show in Christendom holds someone taking videos. What do they do with the files when they get home? During the fifteen years when I was allowed (in spite of my obvious talent issues) to play guitar, bass guitar, piano etc. with the Wednesday Evening Fiddlers there was almost always someone filming the show, and sometimes even the jams. Whatever happened to those digital and other films? Perhaps some of them were sold to illicit theatres in Macao and Nigeria. Then the one doing the filming be a videopath but we all have bad days.
          Just as a side note, I want to mention that sometime in the 1990s I asked an older lady who had been filming how she was enjoying the show. She said she never saw one because 99% of the time she was filming and had the camera to her face. I asked if she watched after she went home and she said she didn’t have time.
          It just occurred to me that the lady’s attitude might very well apply to 2015 as well. Anyone filming the action as I kick the ice castles off the vehicle next door in the grocery store parking lot probably wouldn’t realize what they were seeing anyway.
          Perhaps I’m free, free to kick away, but probably not.
                              *****************************
          On another subject, we in this estate are enjoying the heat pumps we had installed last July, when they were also great air conditioners. Although we have seen a significant rise in our hydro bill, it has been worth it because we no longer use the wood heater in the living room. I’ve done a lot of cursing over the years as I brought wood in from the shed, which is at the other end of the house.
          The reason I bring up this subject is that when we bought the Fujitsu air-to-air heat pumps everyone we saw told us said the heat pumps would “pay for themselves” in five years, seven years, whatever, which is a great big fat load of bunk. It always is when people say that. Our electricity bill is up $80 a month and we save $81 worth of wood. Do the math.
          About eight years ago we had new windows and siding put on this house that was built in 1887, and the $12,000 we spent would “pay for itself” in ten years. As I said, a big fat load of bunk.
          What happened was that we used the same amount of wood but were much warmer. The old windows had been a little draughty. I would say I could have thrown a cat out one of the holes anywhere, but cat lovers might object to the idea. They don’t have much of a sense of humour when they are discussing their little darlings.

          So the conclusion of my exhaustive studies on whether these expensive renovations can “pay for themselves” in five or ten years is this: no, they won’t. Just do the upgrading and get it over with.
                                               -end-

No comments: