Monday 9 June 2014

A dirty garage just needs a 'b' (June 11)

There is an upside to everything – well almost everything

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            My old friend Juliane McKay wrote me from Whitehorse that things are going well for her, especially her aardvark training business that she began in the 1970s, shortly after moving from Edmonton where she and I worked for an oil company.
            Her letter, after apprising me of the news in Yukon, moved on to the fact that she had a bad cold and, at the age of 62, she had found yet another reason to rejoice at having one. "We all know that it is a great excuse to call in sick to work (especially that bunch I have working for me!), but this morning I found that when I sang ‘Friends in Low Places’ I could hit those lowest notes."
            She went on to say that, after lots of practice, when she played the guitar along with her singing, she was finally able to hit the chord E Flat Diminished, which is vital to that song. And THEN she said a very curious thing: "But don’t expect to see me on YouTube or something. I ONLY sing in the shower."
            Let's recap: She only sings in the shower, but she accompanies herself on the guitar when she sings. And she sings ‘Friends in Low Places’. It's too much to envision. She must go through a lot of guitars. Those Martins and Yamahas don't sound their best when they're water-logged, but a Gibson might take it.
                                            *****************************
            Flug stopped by day before yesterday while I was cleaning the detritus out of my garage and commented that my 2-bay establishment was about the neatest one he’d seen for some time. “You could actually park vehicles in here!” he enthused.
            Flug always keeps his garage door locked and his 1986 Gremlin parked outside. I’ve never asked him why. A few hours after he had made his comment about my garage, I decided to go visit him and ask to see the interior of his garage, just for the halibut.
            “I always keep the up-and-down door closed,” he said, “and go in the side door.” I soon saw why. There was everything but the kitchen sink – no wait, there it was – in there and the building was packed solid with his junk (mine was called ‘detritus’, you will remember) whose reason for being there was apparently because it was worthless. There were stacks of newspapers from the 1980s and earlier, car parts (and possibly even a car under there), boxes of broken dishes – in short, a pile of stuff that should have been thrown away a decade ago.
            I offered to help him clean it out so he could park his car, but he said he was quite happy leaving the garage as it was – a large cubical can of trash – although he didn’t exactly use that phrase. He called it his ‘collection’.
            Walking back home to my estate and my newly neatened garage, I reflected that the difference between having a place to park one’s car and a pile of rubble depended on only one letter of the alphabet – ‘b’. Add that letter in the proper place to the word ‘garage’ and you have ‘garbage’. Flug never could spell.
                                             *****************************
            A few more thoughts, gleaned from my notebook:
            (1) There should be an insurance company to protect us against insurance companies. Enough said on that.
            (2) Lumber companies should be doing all right these days. The CEO of the Kincardine Sawmill Co. Inc. told me yesterday that his company is out of the red for the first time since 2007 because of sales of ‘bump’ signs to be placed along the various roads of our county.
            (3) My friend George, who weighed 233 pounds last summer, now clocks in at 155 because every time he sees and hears a warning about a certain food (egg yolks, all sprayed vegetables, all fish, anything else that tastes good) he cuts that out of his diet which now contains only distilled water and organically grown eggplant.
I keep telling him that he’ll never get out of this world alive, certainly not with his money, and he just says a perfect diet means not dying. He added that if he were to die he would take travellers’ cheques to his new location. I wonder if they make asbestos ones?
            (4) We leased a new Corolla back in mid-May and for the first few days at least were very afraid of getting a scratch on it. Three different times I parked far out on the edge of large parking lots uptown and emerged from the store to find that someone had parked alongside me – and I mean RIGHT alongside me. No scratches though, so far.
               (5) Speaking of parking, our new car has a backup camera and now we’re both going to sign up for a 3-week course in Moncton to learn how to operate that beast. I’m too old a dog to be defeated by a young puppy like that camera. I’m a high-tech geezer.
                                                                                 -end-

No comments: