Wednesday 9 April 2014

Insurance company monopoly (April 9)

Weather, Facebook, Insurance and Murray Paris

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            With all the snowstorms and other bad weather we’ve had since about last August (it seems), this column should probably be discussing the weather, so I’ll be talking about everything but.
            The lost flight 370, probably in the Indian Ocean: While we all care about the 239 people on board, it’s not helping them that an hour of every television news day is devoted to the search for the plane. Each headline notes that the search area has either been expanded or moved or both. CBC-TV sent a reporter – and crew of course – to Perth, Australia to report each day that nothing has been found. Surely they could have phoned BBC or CBS or CNN and left it at that, spent the money on covering events in Canada. I am hoping that the plane will be found intact on the ground somewhere, with the passengers partying, but it doesn’t help them that 3,922 reporters are on TV and radio each day to say they’ve found nothing.
            I miss my late cousin and friend Murray Paris, who was a good guy and an entertaining singer. Last week I was at an event where I had to line up for a supper plate and quickly remembered Murray, who was over 90 when he died last year. At potluck suppers and suchlike, he and I always competed to see who would get his food first. Overall, it probably was about even. At the supper last week I turned around to see where Murray was, and my wife sneaked by on my left. I felt like kicking her, but didn’t dare to (hint: rolling pin); it reminded me of one of Murray’s favourite jokes. He couldn’t kick very well with one foot after he had it half cut off in a trucking accident. After that he used to say: “I’m the only man in Tilley with a foot and a half.”
            If you don’t connect to Facebook occasionally you don’t know what you’re missing. In some cases you do know what you’re missing and don’t miss it, but in others you are not hearing much information. I’m not referring to hearing about Shirley or Dawn washing their hair before they go to bed, but to real information. For example, Joe Gee of Carlingford posted a photo of the ‘weed’ called Lamb’s Quarter and noted that, cooked, it was a dandy and nutritious green. “The added bonus is the GMO-free (not genetically modified) vegetable green you're left with. Just wash them, throw them in a pot and steam them for a few minutes or sauté them with a little olive oil and garlic. A lot less work and something to enjoy for dinner!” I must say, Joe is a lot smarter than he looks.
            It’s garden seed time, and also time for another crop that just keeps on coming. I’m talking about emails from gardening companies. A couple of years ago I emailed several seed companies to receive their paper and online catalogues, but they weren’t satisfied at that level of service. On the average, I get one email letter a week from each company, which totals about 35 emails a month. Each of these companies’ letters has a line that says something like this: “If you want to stop receiving these email letters, just go to www.gardennuisance.com to let us know.” Of course I wrote to each of them and called the phone numbers in their catalogues, but that just seemed to encourage them. Some even started telemarketing phonecalls after our personal contact. Did I need any more proof that computers now run all our lives? But don’t get me started on insurance companies.

            Okay, now you’ve got me started on insurance companies. Why is it that an insurance company is the only entity that can decide on how much insurance you must have on your house? My friend Flug, figuring that $2000 a year was too much of an annual insurance payment on his bungalow, called his company to get it reduced – in other words to insure his house for less. He was told that his house was insured for $180,000 and that was that because of the building’s area. He said that $90,000 was plenty – more than enough to rebuild – and would like to halve his payments. Not a chance, said the individual on the phone; it goes by area, period. Does the term ‘price-fixing’ come to mind? Since all the companies said the same thing, does the term ‘collusion’ also seem to fit?
                                                       -end-

No comments: