Saturday 11 January 2014

Where's my home mail delivery, dude? (Jan. 1/14 column)

There’s gonna be a revolution in 2014

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            The Victoria Star in which this column is to appear will probably be dated January 1, 2014, although it may be later when you read it because the mail delivery on New Year’s Day is usually spotty.
            Which brings me to the first topic of this treatise – home delivery of mail.
            There has been a great hue and cry over Canada Post’s decision to stop home delivery everywhere, which, translated, means in the cities since the corporation has stopped home delivery almost everywhere else under the pretext of looking out for their letter carriers’ safety. That of course was a lie, comparing well to the Canada Post statement that followed every post office closing in the 1990s: “This will not affect mail delivery”. And Goldilocks was an entomologist who would never steal anyone’s porridge.
            Where were all those protesting voices when Canada Post was taking away OUR home delivery a few years ago? I used to walk to the end of our driveway to get our mail (and flyers), but now if I want to get both I have to drive over four kilometres. That’s about 1300 kilometres a year. More taxes out of my pocket and into David’s and Stephen’s.
            It’s quite amusing to listen to all the arguments people are using now to protest the dropping of home delivery in the cities. The elderly, the handicapped, and others who will have a hard job getting to a group mailbox which, in the city, could be a couple of blocks away, but not quite 1300 kilometres. Correct me if you must, but when they were cutting off our home delivery nobody spoke up for those folks, and they exist in rural Canada as well as in the cities. Oh wait, there are more votes in the cities, unless you buy that male cow manure about Canada Post’s being a Crown Corporation and not under the influence of the government.
            Moving on from that rant, I now mention the subject in the title of this column. It is a hopeful title, because we do need a revolution and that’s going to be the first New Year’s Resolution I have ever made.
            The revolution to which I refer is not a violent one – unless someone has to fight for the kitchen table – but is a revolution. You know all those family photos you have lurking in boxes at the back of your closets and your attics? Many of them are a century old; I refer to black and white photos of your family’s and your community’s history. Would you PLEASE go to your old photos – Canada’s history – and, with a pencil, identify the people, places and the time?
            It is rather disappointing to be shown dozens of black and white photos with nary a name, year or place mentioned. My Aunt Ella Adams (1905-2004) could identify people back to her great-grandparents, but after she died no one else around these parts could recognize any of my ancestors from those days. From 1988 to about 1990 I wrote a LaFrance family history and if it hadn’t been for Aunt Ella I wouldn’t have known who any of the old codgers were.
For many years I had wanted to write a book called ‘A readable History of Perth-Andover, NB’ but in late 2012 I realized I could not find the $60,000-$80,000 that would be needed for all the research, the time involved, and the printing costs. My decision was to abandon the idea of the book and instead open up a Facebook Group called ‘Old Photos of Victoria County, NB’. I doubted if more than a few hundred people would be interested in the group, which was really focussed on southern Victoria County; Plaster Rock and the Tobique and other areas needed their own groups.
            Surprise! As of this week, my group has 1968 members. I won’t say that I am astonished, because it’s well beyond that, but what pleases me most is that it is INTERACTIVE in a way that the book could never be. I put a photo on there and quite often, within a day or two, there are 20+ comments outlining many details of the unknown person’s life.

            Here’s my New Year’s Resolution: I am going to try and keep southern Victoria County’s history alive, as are those who have groups from the Rowena, Carlingford, Plaster Rock, and other areas. This is real history. Any photos I have, I am going to print (lightly in pencil) on the back just who’s who and what’s what.
                                                                      -end-

No comments: