Monday 8 July 2013

Pity the poor razour blade (July 10)


The Perfessor chooses cowardice over valour 

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

 
            Cleaning up the attic one day last week, I came across a collection of books from my childhood – ‘War and Peace’ – that sort of thing. It felt good to reminisce about the days when I was literate.

            I may have been lying about the ‘War and Peace’, but there was quite a variety of books that I brought from Tilley in the 1990s when my father Fred LaFrance moved out of the home estate and into a nursing home. There were many Lone Ranger books, and a whole whack of Hardy Boys novels.

            Of course, in lieu of actually doing some work up there in the attic, I sat down on an old chesterfield and started reading one of the Hardy Boys mysteries, “The Clue in the Rooster’s Ear”. It was the first time in years that I had read one of those and it reminded me that there were more characters than just Frank and Joe Hardy, the teenage detectives.

            Of course there was their dumb friend Chet or Chump (something like that) and the Hardy Boys’ father Fenton Hardy who actually was a detective. Meaning he got paid.

            Then about page 498 or so I came across yet another Hardy whom I had forgotten about. We only remember Frank and Joe, but there was another brother who worked at McDonald’s – Harvey McDonald’s grocery store down the street. He had tried to be a detective too, but no one would take him seriously.

            You see Fenton and Mrs. Fenton had named their first child Foole as a kind of cute joke. Try getting a job as a detective – or an accountant or truck driver for that matter - when your name is Foole Hardy.

                                                                        *****************************

            Would you believe I STILL haven’t got brook fishing this year?

            I, who would murder a canary for an hour’s fishing in Bubie Brook just down from our house, have been no closer to a brook in 2013 than crossing one over a culvert, or as the old Romans used to say, a viaduct. I prefer to say culvert however, because viaducts are so rare that one is reduced to duct hunting if he wants to see one.

            Ah, last summer, now that was a great one for fishing. I would be at the brook before 8:00 am and come home with a whole ‘mess’ of fish as mother used to say. One day I caught one that was ‘as long as my leg and big around as any stovepipe’ in Grampy’s words, and it was quite a job getting that in the frying pan. We had to invite the neighbours and cook it in stages.

            “That’s quite a lie,” said Flug who had been sitting behind me and sipping on a lemonade as I had been typing. “The biggest one you ever caught was that haddock you bought uptown. If I recall, you dropped it on the porch and the dog Belvedere pounced on it.”

            “I’ll have you know I caught a good many sturgeon in that stream,” I remonstrated, whatever that might mean. I think it means I was calling him a horse’s patoot. In any case, the point is, I want to get fishing or you’ll see me standing alongside the fish display in the grocery store and shedding a dozen tears on the packaged trout.

                                                                        *********************************

            Now I’ll just mention some things we were talking about at the club last evening. One was about Eb Starling, who has been a club member since just before the Crimean War. It seems his doctor got him to take one of those ‘stool tests’ and Eb, not a bright light, put his dog’s stool on the little cards they gave him. Now he has to be treated for Canine Distemper.

            Those ‘keyless entry’ things sometimes cause a little problem. The Perfessor, who recently got a new Chev Flicker (cheaper version of the Blazer), was at a Wal-Mart parking lot and lost his vehicle in the crowd. He pushed the red button which is supposed to locate your own car and, for some reason, the alarms of about 25 vehicles started braying. He took a walk over to East Side Mario’s until the hubbub died down. The linguini was good, he said.

            My wife what’s-her-name, my son and I were out on the lawn chasing fireflies one evening last week when a carload of Ontario tourists who were staying nearby happened to pass on the road. So there we were, three alleged grownups with hands cupped running around on the lawn and trying to catch fireflies. Of course they didn’t know what we were doing. I noticed after that that those people drove much faster on later tours of this road.

            As Canadians living close to the U.S. border, we are inundated with American ‘culture’ to the point that many people pronounce the last letter of the alphabet as ‘zee’ and pronounce the word ‘Lieutenant’ as Loo-tenant. Can you imagine? It’s clearly to be pronounced LEFT-tenant. Oops. Poor example, but some people do get carried away with the U.S. vs. Canadian spelling. Ed the bartender put on his shopping list: ‘razour blades’.  
                                         -end-

No comments: