Wednesday 20 March 2013

I are not a media (March 13)


I declare that I am a large medium 

                                                            by Robert LaFrance
 

            Although I don’t have much of a sense of humour, I was struck by an online comment made by a blogger named Cecil Adams. He writes opinion columns on a website called The Straight Dope. He also bills himself as the world’s smartest human being, so let’s not get carried away with all his opinions. Unlike myself, he probably makes mistakes.

            The comment to which I refer is one he made about Google and its predecessors: Libraries were the Google of the 20th century.” And then, the world’s smartest human being (he may well be) went on to say that “talking to actual human beings was the precursor to Facebook.”

            I think I would expand on that a bit. The concept of speaking to each other face to face took its biggest hit in the 1950s and 1960s when television (as it was called before the acronym TV took over) became the staple entertainment of the home. People stopped visiting each other – unless to watch television and not talk – and entire evenings might be spent sitting speechless in front of the electronic cube.

In Tilley where I was born and allegedly grew up, our neighbours Rose and Fraser bought a television about 1959 and every Saturday evening our whole family – and others living nearby – would bundle into their small living room to watch the latest offerings of small-screen entertainment. B-52s from nearby Loring Air Force Base (whose lights we could see from our house) went roaring overhead and we didn’t care. “Gunsmoke” was on.

At 9:00 pm Sunday, Ed Sullivan appeared with his latest gaggle of Italian jugglers and comedians and we were there again. Fraser and Rose must have gotten sick and tired of seeing us coming in the driveway, but they didn’t have to suffer forever. In April 1961 my brother Lawrence, who had become rather wealthy from working in the woods at a dollar an hour, bought a GE 21” black and white television. I still stagger when I remember how much it cost – five hundred dollars. He was probably clearing fifty dollars a week plus another five or ten from playing guitar in Maunders’ band. Nowadays two hundred will buy a 32-inch flat screen TV and the average salary is more than two dollars an hour.

So Cecil Adams is right when he says that Google has replaced libraries, and Facebook has replaced “talking to actual human beings”, but television was the original culprit. Before we all bought TVs, it was not uncommon to see George and Elroy sitting on the bench on Lila Goodine’s store’s verandah and talking. Now George would have to dash home and see the hockey game, and Elroy would have to see about buying snacks for a later show.

                                                ****************************

As we wind down winter, let us go to a variety of other subjects that are happening around us: My friend Flug came by the other day to have a lemonade from my fridge and while there was reflecting on whether or not he had any friends. “I know you’re my friend, Bob, because you warned me that day that my fly was down before I went up on stage in front of the Harger wedding crowd. A lot of people wouldn’t say a word.” He took a sip of lemonade. “But I’ll tell you, I have developed a way to tell if someone is my friend. If I’m in a restaurant I will deliberately put a food crumb above my upper lip and see if any of my table companions will tell me. If they don’t, I know they’re sitting there and thinking I’m a buffoon. By the way Bob, you have a bread crumb in your beard.” What a friend I have in Flugger.

New subject: On Tuesday evening I walked into the River Valley Civic Centre and someone said: “Why, it’s the media!” I know it was exciting to have a real live celebrity in the same building, but I had to point out that I was only one person, and therefore a medium. If Peter Mansbridge had been walking alongside me, WE would have been ‘the media’ then. Which reminds me, someone on the radio said last week that TV news readers were: “overpaid, over-coiffed media types.”

Just thinking, considering Peter Mansbridge’s salary and influence, maybe he is ‘the media’.          
                                           -end-

No comments: