Tuesday 22 January 2013

The Mayans were wronged (Jan. 16 column)


A bit of a blip in the Mayan calendar   


                                                            by Robert LaFrance 

            It’s easy to see how a mistake could creep into a calendar. We heard for months – years – about the world's ending on Dec. 21, 2012 and here we are in mid-January, colder than a witch’s chest and sort of wishing it had been true. We could have all gone together in a blaze, or at least a haze, of glory.

            I have come to the conclusion that there is also something wrong with our own calendar, the Gregorian one introduced to (the future) Canada and the rest of the world in 1582 to replace the Julian calendar. When I say there’s something wrong with it, I mean there’s something VERY wrong with it.

            No more than two weeks ago I was sitting on the front porch and sipping on a lemonade while the dog Kezman was beside me and chewing on a mastodon bone, or possibly a hambone from the pea soup we had just had for supper. The temperature was twenty-one degrees Celsius, and there was no minus sign involved. According to the calendar it was July 25.

            As the boxer, looking up at the referee, said: “Wha’ happened?”

            I will take an oath that it really was no more than two weeks ago, but here we are in mid-January. Wha’ happened? Time is fleeting they say, but that is ridiculous. And to think of the time I wasted watching television or women or women on television or sports or just plain old killing time when I should have been doing something useful. Now I am forced to do something useful, because it snowed last night and I have to scoop out the driveway. H. D. Thoreau asked how one can ‘kill time with injuring eternity’ and I fear he was on the right track. Instead of watching ‘Canadian Pickers’ on TV I should have been out there picking.

            I have strayed off the subject a bit – nothing unusual there – so I will veer back to it. The subject I was going to introduce was the fact that a second version of the Mayan calendar has turned up, in Minto of all places. Some of the boys at the club there phoned me at 3:46 am and woke me up to impart this news. I suppose that they didn’t realize they would be waking me up at that hour, no doubt miscalculating the time difference between here and Minto, NB.

            It appears that on this newly found Mayan calendar which continues from Dec. 22, 2012, the world is not going to end for quite a few months yet. I believe my friend Flug (who was visiting his sister there) said the new calendar goes to the year 2219, but there was a lot of noise on the line for some reason – no doubt people shouting their joy at their reprieve. In the morning I must send an email explaining that even though the CALENDAR goes to the year 2219, that doesn’t mean that Minto will be there to see it. And I must remember to thank Flug for the early morning heads-up.

            I mentioned Henry David Thoreau, whose book ‘On Walden Pond’ was the favourite of the 1960s generation. I may decide to go and build a cabin near a lake myself and then I might be able to get a good night’s sleep. Unfortunately Flug has begun 2013 with the same amount of judgment he had in 2012 – and 1995 for that matter – and needs to be sent to ‘a re-education camp’ as the late Chairman Mao Xedong was fond of doing to those who didn’t agree with him.

            Of course I would have to modify a few of the things that Thoreau did alongside Walden Pond in the 1840s. Rather than build a cabin out of timbers I cut and carried myself, I would buy a little camper and place it somewhere close to hydro lines. I would not cultivate acres of beans, but would buy them at the grocery store, and all that canoeing he did – well, he was younger. If I can get some sort of satellite TV connection, that would be good, and I would have books just as Thoreau did. Probably e-books and books on DvD, but still books.

            Yes, I can see all that happening because being awakened at 3:46 am by a phone call about the Mayan calendar is something to be avoided if possible. Especially from Minto, a place from where I have some bad memories. I don’t recall what those bad memories are or were, but they are definitely bad ones. Hey, I’m 64.6 years old. How can I be expected to remember bad memories when I have a bad memory?
            I will leave you with one more quote about time, from Groucho Marx: “Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.”
                                                  -END-

No comments: