Tuesday 22 May 2012

Me and Sister Teresa

People I would have liked to have met (May 9, 2012)


                                                            by Robert LaFrance



            Every once in a while, when I can’t find anything decent to watch on TV, I like to think. Considering my latest look at the TV guide, I had better start thinking right soon. A quick scan of what’s on channels 300 to 583 reveals that there is absolutely nothing on, at least nothing I would want to watch. ‘Power Boat TV’ is tempting, but I think I’ll pass.

            So I have no choice; I’ll have to think. Usually when I’m stuck in this bind I think about all the people in the world – or mostly who are no longer in the world – whom I would like to have met. You may infer that I haven’t met them, because that’s what I have implied.

            (I included that sentence for my friend Flug, who just cannot remember the difference between the words ‘infer’ and ‘imply’.)

            ALBERT EINSTEIN. I can picture Albert and me as we go fishing in Trout Brook up in Birch Ridge where I used to live. Back there in the early 1980s I would come home from work in Perth, then go over to the brook and catch half a dozen trout for my supper. See if you can picture Albert and me standing near a nice fishing hole and trying for some speckled trout. Imagine the conversation:

            “How’d it go in the lab today, Al? You figure out any more Theories of Relatives?”

            “Ha-ha, no Bob, LOL. I have decided to concentrate my thoughts on catching the elusive brook trout – salvelinus fontinalis – and ascertaining through scientific method - an analysis of its feeding and nesting styles - when the optimum time occurs for transferring it from the brook to my fish hook.”

            “Al, do you think you might be overanalysing this a bit? We’re just out here to catch supper. Want a can of Moosehead?”

            “You could be right about that, Bob. I’ll just fish without the complications. Yeah, better crack me one a them brewskis.”

            HENRY DAVID THOREAU – I wouldn’t bother going fishing with Thoreau. He probably knew more about that sport than I know about...well, anything. Instead, I think I would take Thoreau to a hockey game and see what his reaction would be to the mindless violence one would find there, and also to the way the players on the ice fight too. I can picture it now – Thoreau, the non-violent philosopher and I watching some hockey ‘enforcer’ (translation: thug) pound away at an opposing player who had just come to play.

            Thoreau: “Look how that number 37 is being manhandled by the other side’s number 21! I think it’s because number 27 isn’t able to skate away fast enough. I always say: If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him march to the music that he hears, however measured or far away.”

            “Hank, the only drumming I see is that thug drumming his fists off the other guy’s skull.”

            “Bob, I have always been in favour of non-violence, or civil disobedience,” he might say, his eyes gleaming, “but I must say, seeing such a display certainly makes the blood course through my veins. I myself want to be out there and trading punches. Perhaps my whole life has been a lie! I’m not really non-violent; I just never played hockey!”

            SISTER TERESA – I’m thinking that the nun who became world famous because of her helping the poor of Calcutta, or Kolkata, as it is now called, should learn to relax. How about in a biker bar? Just the place. I would take her to the headquarters of the Scotch Colony’s own Aberdeen Crushers. Picture Big Eddie, the gang leader who just finished serving eight years in Renous pen for murdering a few people and a moose. (Probation for killing the people, eight years for the moose.)

            “Well there, chickie,” Moose would probably say. “What say you and me go for a ride and…”

As you may know, Sister Teresa had a black belt in karate. You would too if you lived in the slums of Calcutta. I believe Big Eddie would have also changed his name after his brawl with Sister Teresa. Maybe to Jerry Falwell.

            LADY GODIVA – I would have liked to have met her, back there in the 11th century, because it is said that in protest of high taxes, she rode naked through the streets of Coventry, England on a white horse. They say her hair was so long it covered up her bod, but there’s a lot of wind up here on the hill. Maybe one could get a glimpse of the original Lady Gaga. Just a hint, the history books say the word ‘Godiva’ is Old English for ‘God’s Gift’, if you know what I mean.
                                                       -end-

No comments: