Monday 7 May 2012

Free electric power - I like it! (May 2)


The (good and bad) ideas I keep getting         



                                                            by Robert LaFrance




            Last evening I watched the television show ‘This Old House’ and saw them set up solar panels and a windmill to supply electric power to a big house in New England and I thought: “Geez, you don’t have to do all that; you got power outlets and light switches right in your walls already!” Then somebody said the idea is to save money and get off the grid, stupid.

It was late.

Getting free electric power sounded like a good idea to me. I had thought about it for here, but at the time I had never heard of solar or wind power. I think that was last Tuesday afternoon.

“It’s not exactly free, Bob,” said the Perfessor. “You have to pay a few dollars to get that windmill and those solar panels set up at your house.” He pointed toward the TV, now showing a plumber installing a dishwasher – vital item! – in ‘This Old Mansion’s’ kitchen. “Did you hear them say how much it would cost? No? Their estimate was fifty thousand dollars, and that would supply only thirty percent of that house’s power. Make sense?”

I allowed as to how it wouldn’t make a lot – for me at least. Even if I spent $20,000, and it covered 100% of my electricity cost, I figured that equipment would pay for itself around the year 2134 unless I won a lottery in between.

“Then you wouldn’t have to worry about the cost of electricity,” said the Perfessor, reading my thoughts. “It is a perfect Catch-22.” NOTE: I forgot to mention that he was a retired Perfessor of Parapsychology.

A few years ago I read about a PEI dentist (not that his occupation is relevant) who paid $30,000 to have a windmill installed at his house. It (the windmill, not the house) supplied one kilowatt of power, which he stored in a battery he’d bought for $500. Then there was the inverter to change the power from DC to AC. The windmill supplied enough power to run his walk-in freezer and an electric razor. When he visited his neighbour he would take along his laptop computer and plug its cord in the wall over there to charge the battery.

Back here on this mountain, I have been thinking of alternate sources of (non-political) power. I suppose a hydro dam is out. They say you have to have some sort of brook, river, or stream for that – hence the Greek work ‘hydro’ which means ‘water’.  And although I could take $30,000 out of one of my accounts and put up a windmill or a bunch of solar panels, I’m much too lazy to do the maintenance work. The photograph of me a hundred feet in the air and tinkering with a windmill is one you will never see, my friends. I get nervous wearing high-heeled cowboy boots.

So let’s just forget alternate power and think about ways to cut down on the power we use now. Do we really need that electric stove? The only time we ever use it is when we cook something. That is, when somebody other than I cooks something. I could set up some sort of solar powered black metal box and the bread could just as easily cook in there on sunny days. A pork roast would be a scrumptious treat, especially if the heat inside the box got up to 700ºF. Nice ‘crispy crispies’ like Grandma used to make. They say all that fat is bad for you but that’s silly; she lived until she was almost 35.

Saving money on electric power was easy as you can see, and saving money spent on gasoline is just as easy. Just think about all the unnecessary trips you yourself make every week. If at work you have a good health plan that allows you to take off a couple of days a month and still get paid, there you go. Not only do you get two extra days of rest, but you also save all the money you would have spent driving yourself to work. If you live twenty kilometres away from your job, that’s a savings of 80 kilometres worth of gasoline every four weeks. So if 13 x 80 is 1040 km. and gasoline is $1.40 a litre (which it was yesterday in a place near here) and your car gets 12 kilometres per litre, that adds up to…er, a lot of savings.

Of course there are other ways to save both electricity and gasoline, but I think I have covered the most intelligent options. Hitch-hiking and being cold in your own living room are two of those. There is also moving to a warmer climate and hitch-hiking there. Which brings me to the point. I am just now reading an ad in the Jerusalem Post; a fruit grower needs pickers. There must be a lot of chance for leisure time for hunting too, because the last sentence in the ad states: “Must be familiar with various rifles and weapons including the Uzi and the AK-47.” Although I’m not a hunter I might still enjoy a walk in the woods on my holidays. What do they hunt in Israel?   
                                         -end-

No comments: