Thursday 30 April 2020

Remote control (March 18)


The things I want to do

                                    by Robert LaFrance

            The weather today is relatively spring-like and I have a list of jobs to do when it  improves even more. This list was written gradually over the winter months.
             First, patch my gum-rubber boots so I can go out and prune some apple trees without getting wet feet. The only trouble with that is, I would have to do the patching in the house and wouldn’t get to enjoy the nice day. I had better look on my list again and find an outside job.
Second, prune some apple trees. I would do that very thing but the snow is still deep in the orchard and I have holes in my gum-rubber boots, holes big enough to give me wet feet once I go inside.
Third, I think that at the age of 71 (I know, I don’t look a day older than 70) it is time I wrote another book after the success of my first, The Fishladder Gazette. I told that to my old friend The Perfessor and he commented: “Did you ever do anything interesting?” I found this a bit insulting, coming from a man whose greatest accomplishment was delivering a pie into the face of the late Richard Hatfield – while he was sleeping on a park bench in Boston. The Perfessor wasn’t protesting anything; he just tripped. Yeah, I may start that novel in May if I don’t find something else I want to do more. What name should I give it? How about Wine, Women and Thongs?
            Fourth, deal with a bunch of trash that needs to be cut up to make it fit in my black garbage bag. The only problem there is that my chopping tools are all located in my old henpen which itself is located 75 metres out in my orchard. Wet feet I don’t need.
            Fifth, I should make plans to put a roof on my former root cellar and make it into a tool shed, except that my riding lawn mower is too wide to fit through the doorway and it’s in the orchard anyway. Anyway, there’s two feet of snow and a bunch of frozen gravel in that building because it hasn’t had a roof all winter. So I’ll leave that until May if I don’t get Covid-19.
                                                ********************
            I think I will pause in listing all those jobs I intend to do someday – the day I see pigs flying over on their way to Ernfold, Sask. – and move on to the subject that is on everyone’s lips these days – that Covid-19, or New Corona Virus.
            This is supposed to be a humour column so if I want to continue earning my big fat paycheque I had better leave the subject of jobs to do and go on to the hilarious subject of a virus that can kill us all.
            Well, maybe not that hilarious. We all know someone, usually an older person, with “a compromised immune system”. There’s one of those right here in my house and I know it’s very scary to her, even more than it is to me. This house is ‘self-quarantined’ as the phrase goes. Although neither of us has that flu, we take all kinds of precautions including washing our hands 1000 times a day and trying to avoid germs like the plaque, no pun intended.
            One thing I would like to see happen – once this crisis is over – is for China to start implementing a massive effort to stop its citizens from coming up with a new kind of flu every few years and when it does happen anyway to control it without trying to cover it up.
            When something like SARS, H1N1, or Swine Flu happens it gets old real fast when half the friggin’ world suffers from quarantines and millions die. I have done a bit of research on the 1918-1919 Spanish Flu (so-called) that killed 60 million people worldwide and was astonished to learn that it almost certainly originated in China.
            I hope we emerge from this pandemic without meeting the Grim Reaper, but if we do, we will not be able to thank China and certainly not Donald (“It will be okay”) Trump who cares only for his re-election chances rather than how many people Covid-19 will take.
                                                ******************
            Changing the subject to something a little less lethal, I want to recount some of the difficult days I have had to endure. People don’t realize how violent and he-man a past I have had and at my present advanced age I continue the brutal pace.
            A lot of husbands don’t believe this, but about ten days ago something happened that caused me to nearly injure myself not once but four or five times.
            The batteries in my TV remote control went dead.
            I do not lie. I was watching a rerun of Murdoch Mysteries from about 2010 when it happened. The volume wasn’t quite high enough, so I grabbed the remote to remedy that serious situation. No response, no reaction, no remote that worked.
            I could feel the sweat beading on my forehead as I took out the four AAA batteries and cleaned them, first by rubbing them on my flannel shirt and then using rubbing alcohol. Nothing, Nothing!
            I searched high and low as the saying goes, but I wasn’t really high. I was definitely low when I was unable to find any more than two AAA batteries in the basement behind the axe, one of them dead according to my tester.
            This all occurred in the late evening and there was still the M.A.S.H. rerun at 11:00. What could I do? At 10:55 I walked over to the satellite receiver and changed the channel. I barely made it back to my chair.
            Next morning I was uptown at 8:00 o’clock to buy batteries. I hope I never have to repeat that ordeal.
                                          -end-

No comments: